fused glass wall pocket

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

twinkler2

fused glass wall pocket

Post by twinkler2 »

Hi Gang of Glass !
I just started glass fusing and I'm having a blast :)
I tried to make a wall pocket using the kaiser-lee fiber board between two bullseye 90 glass the top piece was fired with a design before, then I used the board with part of it sticking out above about a 1/2" and made a sandwich.
I fired the first at 1400 at speed 2 with a 15 min. hold (Fusion 7-Paragon)
The second at 1450 same speed with 10 min. hold
Here's my problem after 2 tests.... THEY Broke..... I'm really sad...First of all I couldn't get the board to come right out. I had to dig it out and I was very careful when removing the stuff I sat it down at my desk walked away for about a 1/2 hour and I heard the TINK sound of disaster. The second on I didn't even try to take the board out and it cracked along the sides of the slump line (at least it was only a crack)

Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong? Do you think the Kaiser Lee board is the wrong slummping material for this?
If you have any suggestions, I would love some helpful hints

Kindly Me Kim
charlie

Post by charlie »

it's an annealing problem. you need to ramp down at a specific rate, depending upon the maximum thickness of your piece.

if it's a 2 thickness piece of glass, a typical rate would be hold at 960 for 20 minutes, 100 degrees/hr to 850, 200/hr to 700, then turn off.
twinkler2

kiln ?

Post by twinkler2 »

Hi Charlie

I have a totally digital Paragon Fusion 7 I have no idea how to do what you suggested....looks like I have some reading to do

Thank you so much for the idea...... Have you used the Fiberboard stuff before?

Kindly- Me Kim
charlie

Re: kiln ?

Post by charlie »

twinkler2 wrote:Hi Charlie

I have a totally digital Paragon Fusion 7 I have no idea how to do what you suggested....looks like I have some reading to do
rtm. if it's digital it should do it somehow. also read the tutorial on this site about annealing. buy the book.
twinkler2 wrote:Thank you so much for the idea...... Have you used the Fiberboard stuff before?

Kindly- Me Kim
no, but i think this type of fusing with anything in there you'll have the same problem. almost anything flexible will get stuck in there and you'll have to dig it out.
jim simmons

Re: fused glass wall pocket

Post by jim simmons »

twinkler2 wrote:Hi Gang of Glass !
I just started glass fusing and I'm having a blast :)
I tried to make a wall pocket using the kaiser-lee fiber board between two bullseye 90 glass the top piece was fired with a design before, then I used the board with part of it sticking out above about a 1/2" and made a sandwich.
I fired the first at 1400 at speed 2 with a 15 min. hold (Fusion 7-Paragon)
The second at 1450 same speed with 10 min. hold
Here's my problem after 2 tests.... THEY Broke..... I'm really sad...First of all I couldn't get the board to come right out. I had to dig it out and I was very careful when removing the stuff I sat it down at my desk walked away for about a 1/2 hour and I heard the TINK sound of disaster. The second on I didn't even try to take the board out and it cracked along the sides of the slump line (at least it was only a crack)

Anyone know if I'm doing something wrong? Do you think the Kaiser Lee board is the wrong slummping material for this?
If you have any suggestions, I would love some helpful hints

Kindly Me Kim
I agree with Charlie, however you might want to hold at 950 for a little longer and ramp down slower, because the STUFF you are using to make the pocket acts like an insulator and keeps the bottom from loosing/gaining herat as fast as the top.

Also, Don't use fiber board. As you have found out, you can't get it out.
Instead, use fiber paper/blanket. You will still have to dig it out.

Have fun, I hope this helps.

Jim
Annah James

Post by Annah James »

I've made LOTS of wall pockets - I use 2-3 layers of 1/8" fiber paper. The more you use, the slower you have to raise and lower the temp. I have found that the worst breaks happen on the way down, so I take it at 50 dph. I know, it's slooow. but they don't break. On the way up, I start at 75dph and then go to 100dph when it hits about 1200.

Oh - yes, you will have to dig out the fiber. Design it so that it's wider on the top than the bottom, and use your handy-dandy coat hanger tool. You know, the one with one end bent at a 90 degree angle, and the other end bent at 45 degrees...IF you can find a wire coat hanger. Harder to do these days. I find myself hoarding them!! hahaa.

I have also discovered that if I sandwich the fiber paper with thinfire, that 'sometimes' (if I'm lucky, or the moon is just right, or something...) it will just slip out if I have designed it right...those are the happy moments!
Good luck!
annah
Alice DeGraff

Post by Alice DeGraff »

Annah James wrote:I've made LOTS of wall pockets - I use 2-3 layers of 1/8" fiber paper. The more you use, the slower you have to raise and lower the temp. I have found that the worst breaks happen on the way down, so I take it at 50 dph. I know, it's slooow. but they don't break. On the way up, I start at 75dph and then go to 100dph when it hits about 1200.

Oh - yes, you will have to dig out the fiber. Design it so that it's wider on the top than the bottom, and use your handy-dandy coat hanger tool. You know, the one with one end bent at a 90 degree angle, and the other end bent at 45 degrees...IF you can find a wire coat hanger. Harder to do these days. I find myself hoarding them!! hahaa.

I have also discovered that if I sandwich the fiber paper with thinfire, that 'sometimes' (if I'm lucky, or the moon is just right, or something...) it will just slip out if I have designed it right...those are the happy moments!
Good luck!
annah

You are so right!!!! It all depends on the moon. Is that why my mold cracked??? :lol:

hmmmmm Alice De
twinkler2

wall pockets

Post by twinkler2 »

Thanks gang of glass

You have given me hope that this will work

Now... I just need to read up on how to slow the cooling down !

Thanks a bunch

I'll post as soon as I get one done without the dreaded 'TINK' sound

Me Kim :)
Petra Kaiser

Post by Petra Kaiser »

Hi Twinkler 2,

making pockets with any fiber materials can end in a disaster if they are bigger than 1/2 ". Fiber boards or fiber paper are insulation materials and the glass under the fiber is colder, while the glass around the fiber is hot.

We take copper pipes, hammer them down a little bit, cover them 2 or three times with thin fire paper and sandwich it.

Good Luck
petra kaiser
http://www.kaiser-lee-glass-art.com
petra kaiser, florida,

"Have no fear of perfection, you'll never reach it" -Salvador Dali-

specialized in kiln forming with Kaiser Lee Board since 1998
http://www.kaiserlee.com
Stuart Clayman

Post by Stuart Clayman »

[quote="Alice DeGraff
You are so right!!!! It all depends on the moon. Is that why my mold cracked??? :lol:

hmmmmm Alice De[/quote]

Alice what type of mold are you using? ceramic? If so, you need to ramp it slow or else it will crack over time.. I go at 300 DPH.

Stuart
Kiln Repair by a Clayman kilnrepair@yahoo.com
Glassworks by a Clayman
http://www.GlassArtists.org/GlassworksByAClayman
Cyndi

wall pocket

Post by Cyndi »

Can some one post a picture of a wall pocket?
I think I have seen some of these in some galleries. I tryed to do a small valentine one, it was only about 3 1/2" x 2 1/2". I just used one piece of glass on the bottom and one piece on the top with about 5 layers of fiber paper centered and sticking out the top. and sandwhiched it between the two pieces of glass. It did not break, but the top edge where the fiber paper was touching the glass was very jagged and I got a bubble in the middle at the bottom where the fiber paper ended.
But, I am a total newbie, I do not even know if this is what a wall pocket is.
Thanks
Cyndi
Cyndi
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Cyndi,

You did see wall pockets in the gallery. Go to the gallery and click onto Lynn Bishop. She makes beautiful wall pockets.

Judy
Cyndi

wall pockets

Post by Cyndi »

Does anyone know where I can get some instuctions for making the wall pockets?
Cyndi
Cyndi
Judy Schnabel

Post by Judy Schnabel »

Cyndi,

You might search the old archives. I believe there was a long thread about wall pockets a couple of years ago.

Judy