volume calculation

Use this forum for discussion on kiln casting, pate de verre, and related topics.

Moderator: Brad Walker

josie

volume calculation

Post by josie »

i am a novice at mold making and casting. i have moved to a larger model to cast and am having trouble calculating how much mold material to use for the volume of my box. i am using c&r loo mold material 50/50 plaster/silica. i miscalculated how much volume i would need and the thing hardened before i could make more to fill up to the level my wax required.
thanks, josie
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Check out the Bullseye tip sheets. Follow the Bullseye link on the sponsor icons.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Lauri Levanto

Post by Lauri Levanto »

Rule of thumb

measure the bottom are of your box. Multiply with the height
needed to well cover the top of the originilan.
Usually *do not* substract the volume of your model.
It is a minor factor and if omitted makes your mould but slightly higher.

-lauri
charlie holden

Post by charlie holden »

Many people, (Anna Boothe teaches this technique) build large pate de verre molds in seperate sections or rings. If you want to try it with the partial mold that you already have you only need to do a couple of things:

Leave the poured mold around the wax and in the box.

Carve a couple of notches or keys into the top of the plaster/silica that you have already poured. People often use coins to carve out neat bowls for this. These keys will lock the two pieces of the mold together so that they don't shift latterally.

Paint a release on the top of poured plaster. Vaseline, clay slip, etc.

Pour more plaster/silica on top to complete the mold.

The two mold sections will come apart. They must be steamed out and cleaned up and reassembled to accept the glass. Often people will cover the entire exterior of the two pieces with another layer of plaster/silica, sometimes using wire in addition, to strengthen the mold.

Anna Boothe uses this system to build very tall pieces. She will start with the bottom ring, pack it with glass, add another ring, pack that with glass and so on. This way she can get specific colors where she wants them. The seams mean that there is inevitably going to be some cold working.

As for measuring volumes, I like to pour rice into odd shaped molds and measure its volume.

ch
josie

volume calculation

Post by josie »

thanks so much. i had missed the volume calculation on the bullseye tip sheet.
josie