Firing Question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Mali

Firing Question

Post by Mali »

:?: Okay, here is the question: :?:

Warning: I am a newbie

I am running a Jen-Ken Bead Annealing Kiln, 120 volt, 10 amp, manual control with pyrometer, 11" - 6 sides, by 4 " deep. I am using Spectrum 96 glass, a shelf on three - 1/2 " posts and I have only an element around the sides of the kiln.

My problem is, when I fuse, I can't get anything to come out flat. I always have some texture when I am fusing one piece on top of another. I did a sushi plate the other night, 2 pieces of clear 4 X 4" on top of each other, with some small pieces on the top for decoration. I fired slowly at 500 degrees ph for 1 hour and 1000 degrees ph up to 1450 and soaked it for up to 15 minutes, annealed and so on and still it's raised.

Should I be soaking it longer, or taking the soak temp up? This also happens with a single piece of glass, like a hair barrette with some small decorations placed on it for up to 2 layers. What am I doing wrong, or do I just need to go up higher for my kiln to fuse to a flat surface. My kiln goes up to 2000 degrees, of course I wouldn't need it this high, so I assume it can be used for fusing. I am told it should be. Any advice would be appreciated. PS I would also need to avoid those spike thingies, haven't had a problem with them yet, but don't want one. Help????

Does anyone here ever soak up to 1500 degrees for 15 minutes or more? :roll:

Thank You Kindly, Mali
· How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Firing Question

Post by Brad Walker »

[quote="Mali
Should I be soaking it longer, or taking the soak temp up? [/quote]

Yes. Either one. Or both.

System 96 recommends soaking at 1465F. You can either increase your temp a bit or just soak longer at the lower temperature. Then watch until you get the degree of flatness you want.
Mali

Post by Mali »

:D Thank You Brad!

I tried what you suggested and it worked like a charm!

I am glad I posted my question here.

:D Thanks, Mali
· How is it one careless match can start a forest fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?