Recycling Silver Scrap

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Jerry Cave

Post by Jerry Cave »

Molly -

What will this finished silver be used for? Melting scrap is one thing, making it useable is another task. When heated to the melting point on a solder pad, silver and gold will tend to form a ball. Just as you said, ball right up. If you're trying to recycle then a solder pad will not do. You'll want a hand held crucible, ingot mold, and probably a rolling mill. A good atmospheric torch save lots of headaches. Borax when used in this manner is used dry. Toss in a couple of teaspoons full as the metal melts. Might even need a second dose of Borax.

I would imagine the black you mentioned is caused by the torch.
molly

Post by molly »

Thanks. I will give that a try when time allows. My intention is to melt a pool of silver into a "freeform" shape, just as I do with fused glass, and then incorporate the shape into a piece of jewelry. I have a lot of imagination, and was just wondering if this could work. If not, no big deal...i just like to have a way to use up silver scrap and be productive with a minimum of waste.
Jerry Cave

Post by Jerry Cave »

Molly,

Free form molten sounds interesting. I get those on occasion, by accident, called too much heat. It might work if you use a brand new soldering pad with no contamination. Soldering pads come in all sizes, find a large flat one. Be careful of the hot molten metal though, it'll spread far and wide. Maybe try a small piece first. Knowing what you have in mind, I would suggest a large pickle pot, big old crock pot should do.