fine grinding in a tight space

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

gocoach

fine grinding in a tight space

Post by gocoach »

Am searching the archives as a newbie but still haven't found exactly what I'm looking for.....help?

I'm having great success using a small drop-ring mold to make 4.5" bud vase-like vessels. I'm using circular "blanks" of glass which I've pre-fused (most are 90COE-combination of clear top and bottom with stringers in the middle). These are coming out great but I've got a few "rough spots" on the finished pieces. I get some roughness on the underside of the lip (where the edge of the glass "drops" through the drop ring)...is this something that hand pads or ?? could be used to sand out the roughness? I've used Dremels on glass before but think I need a much finer grit to get the smoothness without the devit? And the tightness of the space makes it hard to use sanders, etc. (need something with a fine point or that's flexible). Suggestions on the appropriate cold working technique and product? I've not had to do much post-firing/slumping before.

In a similar but different vein, I also have a few pieces with a more textured top of the lip if I have to slump the glass but leave the side up that was originally on kiln paper. If I understand earlier postings correctly, I can't really fire polish in the kiln since this would affect the slump. Is there any way to use lampworking techniques to firepolish just the top lip of the vessel??

Thanks in advance.