Boron Nitride on Kiln shelves

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Dia Kimm

Boron Nitride on Kiln shelves

Post by Dia Kimm »

BS 132BN Boron Nitride by Miller Stephenson on kiln shelves? Anyone use Boron Nitride on kiln shelves? Any tidbits of info on Miller Stephenson 132 BN? Thanks in advance for communication.
Valerie Adams

Re: Boron Nitride on Kiln shelves

Post by Valerie Adams »

Boron Nitride is only rated to something like 1350° so it wouldn't hold up to fusing temps.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

According to their spec sheets, the Miller Stephenson BS 132BN is only rated to 850C/1562F, so I'd be leery about using it on a kiln shelf: http://www.miller-stephenson.com/assets ... S153BN.pdf It's not really designed to be used that way.
Laurie Saukko

Post by Laurie Saukko »

What temperature does MR-97 fire to? I thought that you could use it for kiln-casting? Any ideas on how to get kiln wash out of molds? I have been trying since forever and am getting frustrated...there may be sand blasting in their future!!!
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Laurie Saukko wrote:What temperature does MR-97 fire to? I thought that you could use it for kiln-casting? Any ideas on how to get kiln wash out of molds? I have been trying since forever and am getting frustrated...there may be sand blasting in their future!!!
The manufacturer of MR-97 says it's good to 1800F and that it can be used for casting in vitreous clay molds.

What brand of kiln wash did you use in the mold? What kind of mold? What kind of firing? Why do you need to get it out? For small casting molds, most manufacturers recommend a product like Primo Primer which cleans out of the mold with a damp cloth or paper towel.

Also, note that once you use boron nitride on a mold you can not easily go back and use a traditional primer or kiln wash on the same mold.
Laurie Saukko

Post by Laurie Saukko »

I had used BE wash. These are those character type pods...and sometimes the detail is lost or the wash gets on your item and it is snarly to remove. I had also heard that the MR97 left it nice and glossy. Do you think sand blasting the molds "gently" would be possible?