thick slumping, uneven piece -- Annealing Q

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

aaa8

thick slumping, uneven piece -- Annealing Q

Post by aaa8 »

I have a piece I'm working on that is tack fused with thickness variations from 1/2 in to 1.25 inch. I know that for annealing I should anneal for a length of time that is suitable for twice the thickest part of the piece, so I'd use ~ 3 in. anneal schedule

My question is for slumping it. If I put it in a bowl, where the highest point is 2.5 inches taller than the base, do I use a schedule to account for this difference in height? So now I'd have pieces of different thickness at different hieghts. So the difference could be as much as ~3 inches between the lowest and highest part of the bowl. Should I use a 6 in schedule? In other words, should I still use a schedule that accounts for the thickness of the piece or one that accounts for the mold height differentials?

Any advice would be appreciated--this is a piece that will be eating up quite a bit of kiln time so I want to try my best to get it right the first time. Thanks!
Brock

Re: thick slumping, uneven piece -- Annealing Q

Post by Brock »

You just have to worry about the annealing. The slumping, apart from initial heat-up rate, is normal.