glass band/ring saw question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nirmala

glass band/ring saw question

Post by Nirmala »

Folks,
I archived for this & got several discussions of glass saw but all dating back to 2003 & 2004.
Am undecided between Gryphons Band saw, Ring saw & Titan 3 after a virtual assessment ...
assuming these products came to the market post 2003/4 , I would like to know the pros & cons of these.
at the same time, I would like to know which of these can cut/slice bottles.
Thanks
AndyT

Re: glass band/ring saw question

Post by AndyT »

Nirmala wrote:Folks,
I archived for this & got several discussions of glass saw but all dating back to 2003 & 2004.
Am undecided between Gryphons Band saw, Ring saw & Titan 3 after a virtual assessment ...
assuming these products came to the market post 2003/4 , I would like to know the pros & cons of these.
Thanks
the Titan can cut bottles but the ring and band saw don't have enough height to do so.
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

Nirmala wrote:Folks,
Thanks
pricy way to cut bottles. cheap 50-99 $ tile saw does just fine for that. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

If all you want to do is cut bottles, get a tile saw. A lot cheaper and easier than any of the "glass saws."

If you want a smoother finish to the cut, invest in a tile saw blade made for cutting glass. Even with a good blade, the cheap tile saw should cost you less than the others.
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

I agree on the tile saw. I have 3 Gryphon tools one being the band saw, don't waste your money on Gryphon tools. I have had a bad experience with them and their tools and go out of my way to not recommend them, By the way if you are still interested I have a gryphon Band saw I am willing to sell for very cheap.
Bob
Nirmala

Post by Nirmala »

tx all for the inputs!
rosanna gusler wrote: pricy way to cut bottles. cheap 50-99 $ tile saw does just fine for that. rosanna
Brad Walker wrote:If all you want to do is cut bottles, get a tile saw. A lot cheaper and easier than any of the "glass saws."

If you want a smoother finish to the cut, invest in a tile saw blade made for cutting glass. Even with a good blade, the cheap tile saw should cost you less than the others.
cutting bottles are not my only aim, I would like to cut other intricate shapes too..
& in gryphon video i noticed that the cutting band is safe to touch when in operation, which ofcourse is of prime consideration.
Nirmala

Post by Nirmala »

bob proulx wrote:I agree on the tile saw. I have 3 Gryphon tools one being the band saw, don't waste your money on Gryphon tools. I have had a bad experience with them and their tools and go out of my way to not recommend them, By the way if you are still interested I have a gryphon Band saw I am willing to sell for very cheap.
Bob
do i still need that gryphon?
thanks but no thanks:-) not after that endorsement!
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Nirmala wrote:& in gryphon video i noticed that the cutting band is safe to touch when in operation, which of course is of prime consideration.
Since glass blades are not serrated, you can't really cut yourself with them (even with a tile saw). You can abrade the skin, but it's next to impossible to cut through in the way a wood saw cuts.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

I've had a ring saw, Gryphon Omnisaw, band saw and tile saw. If I had to pick between them, no contest: Tile saw. I can make deep, straight, thin or thick cuts, I can rough out shapes with it, and it's very fast.My tile saw is a cheap, 10-inch eBay model with a slightly crooked table and a really great saw blade. http://www.morganica.com/bloggery/2012/ ... lass-saws/

I use the tile saw weekly. The ringsaw is perfect for what it does--intricately curved shapes--but too much work, too slow, too narrow a throat, and too much kerf for straight or utility cuts. It gets used a couple of times a year. The Omnisaw was so bad I gave it to a friend a few years back. The bandsaw is at someone else's house and I last used it maybe four years ago.

So...if you can only buy one, buy the tilesaw.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
AndyT

Post by AndyT »

Nirmala wrote:
bob proulx wrote:I agree on the tile saw. I have 3 Gryphon tools one being the band saw, don't waste your money on Gryphon tools. I have had a bad experience with them and their tools and go out of my way to not recommend them, By the way if you are still interested I have a gryphon Band saw I am willing to sell for very cheap.
Bob
do i still need that gryphon?
thanks but no thanks:-) not after that endorsement!
Well, I had the Gryphon band saw and loved it. I never had any problems with it.
Greg Hall

Post by Greg Hall »

For cutting bottles, check out this Youtube video "Cutting bottles 30 seconds perfect edge". The guy uses a glass cutter then drips hot water on the score. Gets amazing cuts far superior to any saw.