Considering switching to Bullseye glass

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

CH Glass

Considering switching to Bullseye glass

Post by CH Glass »

I'm thinking of changing from Spectrum to Bullseye. I'm sure this topic has been discussed in the past, but the posts must be among those that were lost. I know that Spectrum fires at slightly lower temps than BE, and I think it's easier to cut However, the Bullseye color palette has so many more choices. Does anyone have other considerations I should think about before making the leap? As always, thanks for sharing your expertise.
AndyT

Re: Considering switching to Bullseye glass

Post by AndyT »

I think once you consider that Uro makes compatible glass with Spectrum...then the palette gets pretty big. I don't think theres any special considerations between BE and Uro/Spectrum...pretty much a matter of choice.

Andy
Brock

Post by Brock »

This subject has historically caused much partisan fervor. Let's hope not this time. The glasses are so close in temperature and performance that you can use each others schedules with impunity. As for cutting, anyone with reasonable skills will have no problem. Probably your main consideration, apart from colors, should be availability in your area, although Bullseye has very good packaging and shipping. Good luck . . .
Judd

Post by Judd »

I think Bullseye has a great cranberry - not sure Spectrum has one. But, I think Spectrum has the best cherry red. It's a matter or personal choice.
Babette (Shawn)

Post by Babette (Shawn) »

You can always use both...I have an equal opportunity studio. Bullseye to the right, Spectrum & Uroboros to the left. It has worked just fine for me. I have never mixed the two until recently; A few months ago I did a series of bowls with 96 glass and then popped some handy little 90 wafers on them (an accident) The horror of it! :shock: :shock:

All I can think about is all those times I have done everything exactly by the book only to have the piece crack, never to find a solid reason WHY it broke. Glass can be so fussy!

...but the COE 96 bowls with the COE 90 wafers seem to be doing quite nicely together. Don't try this at home.
“Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.”
― Pablo Picasso
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

I am with Shawn. You can use both. We do and i love both. The only one that we have to be extra careful with is the clear. We mark ALL clear scraps that are of a usable size with a black marker before they leave the cutting table.

Each glass has some looks that are unavailable in the other......
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
Laurie Saukko

Post by Laurie Saukko »

I am happy that we are all agreeing not to choose! I know that I never could.
CH Glass

Post by CH Glass »

When I was in Santa Fe a couple of weeks ago, I went to the BE resource center there. I managed to escape with only some french vanilla and dense white, because I wanted to play around with the reactions. However, I did peak out from behind the blinders and saw some gorgeous stuff, hence the original question.

I'm glad to hear that some of you have been successful with having both in your studio. D&L has a BE class pack has my name on it. Thanks for your replies.