Covington Wet Belt Sander

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Gail L

Covington Wet Belt Sander

Post by Gail L »

Just got a Covington WBS new in the box (garage sale..unbelievable !!) ....I remember reading at some point on the boards, that you could remove the back plate so that the belt has some room to move and you're not sanding on flat surface behind the belt.......not sure about the best way to use the sander. Remove the backplate, or leave it ?
I did try to search but couldn't bring any info up from the archives.
Any suggestions ? Thanks !!
Havi

Re: Covington Wet Belt Sander

Post by Havi »

Congrats on your new acquisition.! Hope it will be useful and help you make beautiful staff.

I removed my big back plate, and installed a smaller one, which came with the WBS.
This way when I want a back plate I have one, but I also work without it [upper than the back plate, about 4" tall]

Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
Jerrwel

Re: Covington Wet Belt Sander

Post by Jerrwel »

Gail L wrote:Just got a Covington WBS new in the box (garage sale..unbelievable !!) ....I remember reading at some point on the boards, that you could remove the back plate so that the belt has some room to move and you're not sanding on flat surface behind the belt.......not sure about the best way to use the sander. Remove the backplate, or leave it ?
I did try to search but couldn't bring any info up from the archives.
Any suggestions ? Thanks !!
What a find! Can I have some of your luck?

I just work on the belt above the backplate; of course I don't have the support of the work surface in front of the belt, but on smaller pieces it's quite easy and remember.....always push into or against the direction of the belt never with the direction of the belt as the glass may be carried in the direction of the belt (down) rapidly and catastrophically.
Jerry