Ceiling

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Nomi Rajan

Ceiling

Post by Nomi Rajan »

Hello,

Can somone guide me, i'm making a ceiling with bullseye glass, size 2 feet x 6 feet .Its a decorative show piece ceiling, would it need Tempering,
also should it be laminated ?

Looking foward to your replies,
Nomi
Morganica

Re: Ceiling

Post by Morganica »

Gosh--lots of questions from this, especially around how it will be mounted on the ceiling. Can you go into more detail?

How thick is the glass?
Is it cemented into the ceiling like a mosaic, in individual pieces, or tiles, or as a single piece?
Will it be mounted in a frame and suspended from the ceiling or screwed into the ceiling? (and if so, what is the mounting mechanism)?
What will it be mounted onto? (what is the ceiling substrate? are there ceiling joists to screw it into, is it a concrete building with a solid ceiling, will it be cemented onto a skylight, etc?)
What kinds of temperature changes is it likely to encounter? (for example, if there's a skylight behind all/part of it, is there a chance of strong sunlight heating the piece?)
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
David Jenkins

Post by David Jenkins »

And further, what do you mean by "laminated?" Are you asking if it should be layered with another layer of glass? Or perhaps layering your glass with some other backing substance? If glass, will you be fusing the two layers together?

Sounds like a very ambitious project!
Dave Jenkins
Glass at Harbor Gates
Cypress, TX
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Fused bullseye panels can be resin laminated which raises them to the level of code worthy safety glass. Find a shop that has experience with this process, and uses a low contraction resin formula. The learning curve is relatively steep for this process.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Nomi Rajan

Post by Nomi Rajan »

Hi Morganica,

First of all thankyou for a quick reply. Its 3 sheets 36"x 24", will be framed all together in aluminium frame with a stand, there will not be any screws . Its not linked to a wall or any other thing. Its going to stand by itself with 4 legs. I live in Bahrain where the temperature can easily go upto 50 C so its going to be quite hot. Its not going to be exactly a skylight but will be look like it. Its more of a decoration or a show piece.
By lamination i meant the protective linning.

Nomi

Morganica wrote:Gosh--lots of questions from this, especially around how it will be mounted on the ceiling. Can you go into more detail?

How thick is the glass?
Is it cemented into the ceiling like a mosaic, in individual pieces, or tiles, or as a single piece?
Will it be mounted in a frame and suspended from the ceiling or screwed into the ceiling? (and if so, what is the mounting mechanism)?
What will it be mounted onto? (what is the ceiling substrate? are there ceiling joists to screw it into, is it a concrete building with a solid ceiling, will it be cemented onto a skylight, etc?)
What kinds of temperature changes is it likely to encounter? (for example, if there's a skylight behind all/part of it, is there a chance of strong sunlight heating the piece?)