sand blaster

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Janet McFadyen

sand blaster

Post by Janet McFadyen »

Hi I thought I wrote this question yesterday but I can't seem to find it anywhere.... so please excuse me if I have posted the same question twice.

I have just bought a sandblaster... I want to mostly use it for cleaning haze or devit etc. from a piece and re firing sometimes just a fire polish. I am using 220 Aluimin Oxide. I have not used it yet... I thought that I would blast my SS molds to get a bit more tooth on them for KW. I have been wondering if I use it on the molds ...will I be contaminating my grit and will there be small SS particles in the grit that will then possibly get stuck into my glass projects?

thanks Janet
facebook artist page @ Janet McFadyen's Glass
Brock

Re: sand blaster

Post by Brock »

Nope.
Redfisher

Post by Redfisher »

Kinda off topic but still sandblasting related...
I tried the new papyros paper, and it left an odd pattern on my glass. I sanded it some, flipped and fire polished it. Still there. Decided to sandblast it to get it off, then blasted the front side to remove paper "texture". Can I get both sides to "gloss" over in one face up firing? Will i have to flip n fire again? I realize both sides wont gloss over, but i want it to be clearon the back, you know im trying to say.Thanks!!
Terri
<'{{{{><
Dairy Queen

Post by Dairy Queen »

Redfisher wrote:Kinda off topic but still sandblasting related...
I tried the new papyros paper, and it left an odd pattern on my glass. I sanded it some, flipped and fire polished it. Still there. Decided to sandblast it to get it off, then blasted the front side to remove paper "texture". Can I get both sides to "gloss" over in one face up firing? Will i have to flip n fire again? I realize both sides wont gloss over, but i want it to be clearon the back, you know im trying to say.Thanks!!
What is your shelf made of?

BTW, I will be in St Augustine next week, visiting galleries for representation. Do you have any suggestions as to any galleries to avoid?
Love and luck make a wonderful lifestyle.