A different kiln cooling question

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Franzeska

A different kiln cooling question

Post by Franzeska »

My 18" square Olympic (13.5 height), takes FOREVER to cool. I don't have it jam-packed with thick glass, just beginner-type coaster-sized tiles, an occasional 8" plate. It takes hours and hours to cool from 800 deg. to 450 deg. (6-7 hrs.). I can leave the house at 6:30 a.m. with the kiln at 450 deg. and return home at 4:30 p.m., and the kiln is around 200 deg. give or take 20, depending on the temperature. The kiln is in my garage - in SW Florida, where the temperatures are in the 70s and 80s for most of the year. On the one hand, I don't want to rush the cooling, but on the other hand, the entire process takes around 30-34 hours (conservative ramping, long bubble squeeze, long anneal). If that is normal, then I'll live with it. If I can safely do something to encourage cooling, then I'd love to hear your suggestions. Thanks.

Franzeska
rosanna gusler

Re: A different kiln cooling question

Post by rosanna gusler »

move the air. a kiln will get a sort ob heat bubble around it. . point a fan at it . low speed is fine and your cooling will speed. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
Franzeska

Post by Franzeska »

D'oh. I could have had a V-8. I mean, I should have thought of that. Thanks!
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Franzeska,

You can prop the lid slightly open with a thin kiln post and open the peep hole to help vent the kiln. Wait until the kiln is down to 500F to do this. If the projects are coasters and 8" plates then the increased cooling rate should not harm the projects. Do not wash the projects until they have cooled to room temperature. Projects that are warm to the touch on the surface are still quite a bit warmer inside. The washing can cause thermal shock.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Bob
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

I am with Bob...but not higher then 500F and not with anything thicker then 1/4" work....and not on tack fused....combed or pot melts.
I can get away with a half inch stilt at 500 and it will speed it up alot safely on 1/4" thick work.
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
Franzeska

Post by Franzeska »

Thanks. Again, I appreciate the benefit of your experience.

Fran