sending display set-ups to businesses

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

katesaunders

sending display set-ups to businesses

Post by katesaunders »

I fuse ashes and make either pendants or "keepsakes" for people with either pet or human ashes. Occasionally I'll get a request from a mortuary or crematorium for a display of some of my products, and if they seem serious I'll send something off to them. I usually send a number of my samples, either in a nice clear plastic case (not expensive, maybe
$10),or in a frame, some fliers, general information, etc. Sometimes I get orders back from them, often times I never hear from them again. My question is how to I handle
the people I never get an order from? Or how can I make sure that they're really serious and are going to place orders? I do some follow-up, in writing, if I don't hear from them. Do I ask for my display back? They're all seen my website, they all seem really eager to sell my product. Does anyone ever charge for a display? My best customers are mortuaries and crematoriums. I do establish a relationship with these people, and it helps. I suppose more follow-up would be useful, but, I hate to admit this, I have a bit of a phone phobia and can talk myself out of making almost any phone call.
What bothers me the most is the loss of my finished samples, not the cost.
Thanks for any thoughts on the subject, perhaps I just wanted to vent. Kate
Tom Fuhrman

Re: sending display set-ups to businesses

Post by Tom Fuhrman »

charge for samples and give a credit for the charge on their first order. That's gives them incentive to order or try and move your product.
katesaunders

Re: sending display set-ups to businesses

Post by katesaunders »

Good grief, how simple and perfect!