Mold question

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Hannah Love

Mold question

Post by Hannah Love »

I ended up with a fused square that I've been contemplating slumping onto a plate mold. I'm less concerned with if it turns out wonderfully than a test outside of a class setting of this particular decorative technique in a new kiln. The part I'm not certain of is the square is about one inch (all around) less than the mold. I've not actually slumped in a mold except to the size intended for the mold so I'm not certain about the probable result. The piece has two layers and decorative bits (confetti, frit, mica and stringer in the middle).

The mold has some texture in it. The design has trapped some air bubbles in the piece and the mold has holes in it. The only result I'd be deeply upset over in this instance is if I broke the mold or damaged it. Anyone more experienced who knows possible issues or what I should expect?
AndyT

Re: Mold question

Post by AndyT »

I slump smaller pieces in bigger molds and have never had a problem. Go for it and I'll bet you'll be fine.
Glass Fever

Re: Mold question

Post by Glass Fever »

Yes it should be fine, just smaller. http://www.bullseyeglass.com/methods-id ... molds.html