U.V.Lights

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

squirrellglider

U.V.Lights

Post by squirrellglider »

Hello all,
I have read in one of the threads here that the only way to tell which side of float glass is the tin side, is by shining a short wavelength U.V. light onto it from underneath, and then look at it with welding glasses. Does anyone know where to get these short wavelength U.V. lights and 2/ what type of welding glasses, there appears to be a number of types of welding glasses? Thanking you in anticipation, Terry!!
bob proulx

Re: U.V.Lights

Post by bob proulx »

Hi Terry, It's nice seeing you on this board. I use a pocket purifier which sells in the $25.00 range. Glass suppliers have a different one they sell for around $75.00, My little purifier does the same thing.
Here is a link to amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Pocket-Purifier-H ... t+purifier
Bob
squirrellglider

Post by squirrellglider »

Thanks Bob, I've made the link and bought one already. They say it'll be here in two days but I will believe that when I see it.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

I am confused about how the lights work. Those lights that cost $75 used to cost $40, and I've had one forever. Those lights have a dark purple filter, which is probably the expensive part to the light. Those lights are poorly made and fall apart easily, I've replaced mine a few times. What I know is that they work well, relative to detecting the tin side. Recently I bought one of those cheap germicidal lights and duct taped the purple filter on. I think the filter really helps you see the white glow.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
rosanna gusler

Post by rosanna gusler »

no need for welding glasses. just do not shine the light directly into your eyes. rosanna
artist, owner of wanchese art studio, marine finisher
bob proulx

Post by bob proulx »

The pocket purifier works great for me but you have to hold it at about a 45 degree angle.
Bob
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thanks for posting that link, Bob.

Nice to know you can treat the glass for bacteria and germs before licking it to detect the tin side. :D Jen