Vitrigraph Kilns

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Sue Haan

Vitrigraph Kilns

Post by Sue Haan »

I am interested in buying a Vitrigraph Kiln. What's the best brand?
S.TImmerman

Re: Vitrigraph Kilns

Post by S.TImmerman »

http://www.bullseyeglass.com/education/ ... e-163.html#

I highly recommend one with a controller. This link is is very useful which ever you decide to get.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

If i were planning to add another kiln to my collection :mrgreen: , I think I would get a Cress drop-bottom kiln that can be used for combing and vitrigraph.

Dana W.
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

I have a paragon caldera and love it for this purpose. I have used an EvenHeat Hot Box. Having the controller is nice. I have killed 2 hotboxes this way though - I do a TON of vitrigraph and that kiln isn't really made for that type of heatwork.
"Every artist was first an amateur."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Julie Wiedemeier

Post by Julie Wiedemeier »

We're also looking at the Cress drop bottom kiln for my next kiln for the same reasons. When I'm not using it, it will make a nice little annealing kiln for my son's flamework. We'll be making our finale decision on a new kiln at the expo.
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

You may be able to get a good price on one used at the expo. Patty Gray is teaching, and she very often has one of the Cress drop-bottoms to use for combings during her class.

Check with her first thing.

Dana W.
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I've got a Caldera and love it. It's on a baker's rack for squiggly vitrigraph but I just took Bullseye's Cane & Murrine class so now it's being mounted high on a wall. I'm still researching bracket solutions but it appears air conditioner mounting might work. I looked at the Turbo-Lift mechanism but it's $500 and Jeremy Scidmore says they're poor quality.
Cheryl

Post by Cheryl »

Valerie, mine is mounted on the wall with standard (home depot) sturdy brackets and part of a wire shelf with a hole cut into it. The shelf is steel and just sits on top of the brackets. They are mounted to studs and it's very sturdy. I do have to use a step stool to add the pot but that's not a big deal. I'd love to have one of those lifts but haven't found one in my price range :)
"Every artist was first an amateur."

--Ralph Waldo Emerson
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

Thanks Cheryl; that's kinda' what I'm thinking too.