Brick repair?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Franzeska

Brick repair?

Post by Franzeska »

Back in June, I opened my practically brand new kiln and pieces of broken brick fell onto the shelf and floor. I don't know what happened. I don't want to malign the company, so I'm not providing the company name (yet), but the kiln is 18" square and 14" deep. It has a clamshell and top opening lid. I sent pictures to the mfr. and they said that there was enough intact brick that I could still use the kiln. I wanted it whole again, so they sent me a tub of mud and told me to use it sparingly to stick the large pieces back in place. My repair was unsatisfactory because the attached pieces remain loose, and the last time I checked the cracks they seem to have grown. I have been using the kiln occasionally, but accessing it by the top lid, not the clamshell opening.

The broken bricks are along the bottom edge of the clamshell. I asked the mfr. for the name of a repair person and they said they know of someone who travels around my state (Florida) who might be able to help. Time went by and I didn't hear from the mfr. A month ago (where did the time go??), I contacted them again about connecting me with a person who could repair my bricks. They gave me the name (but not the contact info) and also offered to repair the kiln if I returned it to them (I'm assuming at my expense).

Do any of you know of a person qualified to repair my bricks? I am in SW Florida. Do you know what kind of expense I should expect (just so I know what I am facing)?

If the manufacturer's name is relevant, I'll be happy to provide it via private message. As I said earlier, I don't want to leave a bad impression of them in a public forum.

Thank you ever so much for your help.
Steve Hewitt

Re: Brick repair?

Post by Steve Hewitt »

My first question is if you have contacted the source that sold you the kiln? Store or local business?
Are there any distributors for ceramic kilns in your area?
Is there a college in your area that offers graduate level courses in either ceramics or glass? Often times ceramic artist become masters in repair and construction of kilns.
Is there a ceramic ( slip casting) company in your area? Again, they may have reference people.
Franzeska

Re: Brick repair?

Post by Franzeska »

My kids bought the kiln via the internet and had it shipped to me, so no local dealer. There is a local dealer, but they don't do repairs. There may be a ceramic studio around here, so that is a good idea. There is also a college that may have a little art department so I'll call over there. Those were good ideas. Thank you very much for getting me thinking in the right direction.