Kilnwash powder curiosity

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nanette

Kilnwash powder curiosity

Post by Nanette »

At times I sprinkle kilnwash on the shelf for texture. After firing to approx. 1480 degrees I typically just sweep the loose wash/powder into the trash. Could that powder be reused or has all its value been fired out?

Just curious of others opinions,

Nanette
Bert Weiss

Re: Kilnwash powder curiosity

Post by Bert Weiss »

After a firing that hot, it is not recommended to reuse it. As I understand it, this has to do with the quartz inversion that has taken place in the kaolin, which is half the ingredient list. The other half is alumina hydrate. I believe that if you use just alumina hydrate as your textural powder, you can reuse it over and over. I do believe there is a limit when some sort of chemical from the glass leeches in to it. But I don't think this comes quickly, and I can't say I've seen this in action.

You can get alumina hydrate from a pottery supply. The version I bought there was coarser than that used in Bullseye kilnwash. If your goal is to get texture, this should be just fine.

I really like using very finely ground alumina hydrate. The one I recommend is made by JM Huber and is called SB432 alumina trihydrate. The only source I know about is MF Cachat in Ohio. They cover the northeast, south to DC and west to Denver.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions