Cabinets to hold glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Cherie Knopf

Cabinets to hold glass

Post by Cherie Knopf »

Hi, does anyone know of any business that might sell cabinetry that we could use to store our glass. We basically have a lot of 1/2 sheets and then 1/4 sheets of glass and we want to put in a cabinet in our studio to house all of this glass. We thought about making it ourselves, but I wondered if anyone had found someone that sells something ready made that we could buy from instead? Any ideas are appreciated!

Thanks
Chereie
Judd

Re: Cabinets to hold glass

Post by Judd »

How fancy do you want to get? You can throw as much money at a problem as you want. Plastic Milk cartons turned on their side work in a heart beat.
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

What Judd said.

I like screwing Bullseye crates together, standing up on their ends, for my full sheets.
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

I don't know of any furniture specifically made to hold glass, but a lot of used restaurant/store equipment works just fine. If there's a used store fixtures shop in your area, try that. We have a couple in town that buy up display equipment when a store is going out of business or changing its displays, and they've had some wonderful racks and compartmentalized shelves. I'm using an art brush display rack to store my stringer, for example, that cost $8.

I used to use an old divided kitchen cabinet for storing half-sheets--if there's a Habitat for Humanity in your area they often have a resale store that offers used kitchen cabinets at low prices. That's always an option.

I had the local plastics place make a big divided bin for my half-sheets of glass, and it's wonderful. It lets me see all the way to the back for stray pieces:
The nice thing about most plastic fabrication shops is that they've usually got a seconds/rejects bin that can have great buys. I found a really wonderful (huge) divided bin there yesterday that gives me 8 compartments for quarter-sheets for $50.

To store 8x10 sheets and big scrap, I go to the Goodwill (or if I can't find them there, a household storage place like The Container Store) and buy clear plastic magazine boxes and store them on an open shelf in the studio (above). It makes it easy to sort the colors, I can see exactly what I've got, and if I need to work with a lot of one color I just pull the box out and put it on my worktable.

I've never found a ready-made bin that will fit a full sheet of glass--and since I'm local to Bullseye I've never get my glass in actual crates--but full sheet bins are. I put one together in my garage out of scrapwood--a simple 5-sided box with quarter-inch dividers. Took about an hour to bang together and it's lasted for years.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)