Small Business - insurance

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Cherie Knopf

Small Business - insurance

Post by Cherie Knopf »

Hi, I was just curious, for any of you that have a small business selling your glass items, do you carry any special insurance for that? I wasn't sure if you ever felt you had to have something in place in case someone was injured on your piece somehow.

Thanks
Cherie
Marty

Re: Small Business - insurance

Post by Marty »

If someone gets injured on a piece of my glass, I not only charge them full retail for the piece (whole or in pieces) but there are also charges for my time in dealing with their problem (and there's cleaning, bandaids, medivac and clerical charges as well).

If you're working out of your home, see if you can get a home business rider on your policy. If you're renting studio space then you should have a small business policy that will cover product liability and off-premises issues. The prices and coverages of such policies and riders will vary greatly- do some research.
The American Craft Council used to link to services like that for people whose insurance carrier wouldn't help out.
Cate G

Post by Cate G »

I'm finding that some craft show venues are requiring artists/crafters carry insurance. A potter friend of mine has it through her home owners insurer, and I think she said it costs her a little over $300 a year. I couldn't participate in 2 really good shows because I don't have insurance. I'm going to call my insurance agent to find out about it.
Cate
Marty

Post by Marty »

Cate G

Post by Cate G »

Thanks Marty. There is a lot of great information there.
Cate