2nd firing...different result?

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

Nancy H

2nd firing...different result?

Post by Nancy H »

I refired a sun catcher that I had made and the 2nd time around it took on a full fuse rather than a soft/contour fuse. My top temp. was the same. The only thing I changed was that I took it up a bit slower than the 1st time. I refired it because my wire did not adhere correctly. I fixed it and put it back in for another go. Anyone have any ideas why I would get a different result the 2nd time around :?:
Morganica

Re: 2nd firing...different result?

Post by Morganica »

Because the glass is more melted than it was the first time. The more heatwork you put into the glass, the more it's going to flow, and it's a cumulative kind of thing. So you're starting with a fused/slightly softened piece, and it will get more softened when you apply more heat.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Nancy H

Re: 2nd firing...different result?

Post by Nancy H »

Thanks Cynthia. The cumulative factor makes sense and I thank you for pointing that out to me. It's amazing how much learning goes along with glass fusing. Looks like I learned two lessons from this project. First, don't just lay the wire under the base glass. Take the time to secure the wire in-between two pieces of glass. If I had done that in the first place I wouldn't have had to fuse it again, and I wouldn't have had to figure out a way to fix the wire issue. Second ,if I need to fuse a second time do so at a lower temp.
BTW..I fixed the wire issue by drilling 2 very small holes in the top of my sun catcher and inserting the wire in the holes.
Thanks again for your help.