Wall pocket

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

JenniferB

Wall pocket

Post by JenniferB »

I've been trying to make some wall pockets but have been having a problem. For the first one, I used 2 layers of 3 mm opaque for the back and 1 layer of 3 mm clear for the pocket. I slumped this over 2 layers of 1/4" fiber paper. The fiber paper extended beyond the top edge of the pocket before firing. After firing everything was fine except that the top edge of the pocket had very sharp points at the corners. I thought perhaps I needed 2 layers on the pocket as well so I added a border of 3 mm glass to the top of the pocket the next time. Again everything was fine except for the needles at the top corners of the pocket. Here's the schedule I used:
300 dph to 1175, 30 min
50 dph to 1285, no hold
500 to 1480, 20 min
afap to 900, 90 min
100 dph to 700
off

Am I firing too hot? I thought I needed this process temperature to fuse the pocket to the back. I've read all the other posts on wall pockets that I can find in the archives but they don't seem to address this particular problem. Does anyone have any advice?

Jennifer
jim burchett

Re: Wall pocket

Post by jim burchett »

I make these with a single front and back layer..put some thinfire on the pocket mold and dont fire so hot I find that 1425 for 10-15 minutes will give you a good seal w/o needling...mostly these were made with regular Spectrum waterglass
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie
JenniferB

Post by JenniferB »

by jim burchett » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:23 pm

I make these with a single front and back layer..put some thinfire on the pocket mold and dont fire so hot I find that 1425 for 10-15 minutes will give you a good seal w/o needling...mostly these were made with regular Spectrum waterglass
Thanks Jim, I'll try the lower temperature next time. Are your front and back the same size? If not, how do you avoid having the single layer back dog-bone?

Jennifer
jim burchett

Post by jim burchett »

The back is smaller than the top, the top is bigger to allow it to drapeover the fiber on the sides and bottom
"No, you cant scare Me, I'm sticking to the UNION. I'm stickin to the UNION till the day I die" Woody Guthrie