Ranamok submission.

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Haydo

Ranamok submission.

Post by Haydo »

Thoughts of a Madman
Thoughts of a Madman
element - despair
element - despair
Have had a good time through the whole process except for some cold working issue's with proud stones on one of my discs. Looking forward to seeing the finalist's collection in this the last year that the prize will be running. Could have read something the wrong way a while back when it seems that all entrants into this years Ranamok Glass Prize gets to have their work as part of their new website, that's good enough for me. Grateful that I got the chance to take part and to work the studio as it should be. The piece lost three of the blocks to trouble getting an image but am happy and can now move on. peace, haydo
Last edited by Haydo on Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Haydo

Re: Ranamok submission.

Post by Haydo »

element - love/light
element - love/light
element - guilty green
element - guilty green
element -    sub-confidence
element - sub-confidence
Three more images. It's raining here on Nauru so what else is there to do except think about what I'll get up to next when I get home. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Congatulations Haydo!!!! =D> Good luck with your submission. Will send you a PM. Jen
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Thanks Jen, my run is over with this one. Judging has already taken place which is why I'm able to share this now. It was the one thing that has kept me going, to be able to submit a work to this event. Had no choice but to go for it, especially with the convenient circumstance of getting a back to back roster here on Nauru. Funny thing is though, this morning I had to clean my rental ute for return and news that the crew are yet again being moved. This time to shared accommodation that has been rebuilt after being burnt to the ground last year. Crew has united and have said book our flights home now, could be back in the studio before I know it. peace, haydo
Peter Angel

Post by Peter Angel »

Good luck Haydo.

I have noticed that its always the same finalist each year...every year! So if you can break into the Ranamok exclusive group that would be excellent.

Pete
Peter Angel
http://peterangelart.blogspot.com/

A bigger kiln, A bigger kiln, my kingdom for a bigger kiln.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Hey Peter, appreciate your well wishes. Starting to think that maybe I'm too cryptic. Almost missed my last flight out of Nauru by falling asleep on the beach in the middle of the night and apparently I left a message about a key, I'm like WTF. So what I'm trying to say is that the thing for me was that I felt that I could take part in the chase. It's pushed me to another level. My piece for some time has frustrated me that I couldn't have pushed it further with more pre-fused layers to be stretched. Only the dark one had that, but was lost in the chaos. All blocks were stacked and single fired, which is what I want to explore in slabs with multiple bubbles and a better way of calculating size of bubble and it's position in the mass.
There's a very good reason for who gets in, each year the chosen works are so diverse. Which is a good thing. Didn't win the marathon, but at least I finished by taking part. peace, haydo
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

element - sentinel (side view)
element - sentinel (side view)
element - sentinel
element - sentinel
This bit of glass was the real learning curve of using a LP66 polishing disc on a flat bed grinder. One time it took me three goes of searching my "rain forest section" in the yard to find this piece after it took off from the grinder. It did this thing of leaving my hands on numerous occasions and proved to me how tough it was after bouncing off steel posts and rocks with only the slightest chip to show for it. peace, haydo
Sharol

Post by Sharol »

Haydo,

The individual elements of this piece are absolutely amazing! I am fascinatied by the entire composition as well. I am so impressed by your work. It evokes a long road of experimentation and reflection.

Congratulations!

Sharol
JestersBaubles

Post by JestersBaubles »

It's beautiful and thought-provoking.

And I had to laugh about the piece flying across the yard :)

Dana
Joyce Walters

Post by Joyce Walters »

Thank you so much for sharing these photos.
I truly love your controlled big bubble pieces.
These are thought provoking and inspiring in their stretching, both physically & mentally.
Joyce
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

They are all looking great!
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

I'm very happy about the positive feedback, much appreciated. To be honest I wasn't bowled over the first time I saw it, with so many elements including the stand keeping me very busy, then all of a sudden the sketch made here while away from home became real just didn't do it for me. As if I'd already moved on. It's now that I've had time to wind down that I feel that it was the best that I could do at that time and am happy that it reflects me. Will most likely rework it by inserting LEDs which was where I was heading but kept it KISS. peace, haydo
Tod

Post by Tod »

I really enjoyed these pieces, too. Great that you got in and found it so worthwhile. - T
please visit Beall Glass Studio on Face Book
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Good to hear Tod. Better when it is enjoyed rather than being something pretty. I'll attempt to upload the three blocks that didn't make it onto the stand, at the moment internet connectivity seems stable. Well I didn't make it in, but more like I made it on time and submitted early. peace, haydo
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

element - daydreamer
element - daydreamer
The daydreamer is my second favourite. Can stand on it's side then with a gentle tap will rock for some time, the sentinel is the other that rocks but not as nicely. I want to show element - anger but will wait until I start playing with the camera again as it needs a cracker(LED) up it's bum to shine and burn. peace, haydo
Peter Angel

Post by Peter Angel »

Haydo, how big are these pieces? Any chance you could photograph one piece held in your hand to get a sense of scale?

Pete
Peter Angel
http://peterangelart.blogspot.com/

A bigger kiln, A bigger kiln, my kingdom for a bigger kiln.
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Easiest way is to look at the cubish element - sub-confidence which is 90mm x 90mm x 90mm. peace, haydo