Raking glass

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

ironman55

Raking glass

Post by ironman55 »

I posted the question below but have not gotten any response.
Did the question make sense?
Opening the kiln lid drops the temp by about 300 degrees in about 5 seconds. I noticed in working with hot glass, they use a torch sometimes instead of putting back in the glory hole.
Is there any reason this would not work with a kiln? I use a clamshell kiln so the lid would be out of the way totally.
Thanks for any help.

Has anyone used a torch to increase the rake time without having to close the kiln.
Thanks!
Haydo

Re: Raking glass

Post by Haydo »

I use a hothead for concentrated heat at the top of my bubble work in a small top loading kiln, it's not what you are looking for because the hothead wouldn't stand a chance for what you want. From what I've learnt here on this forum is that the old fashioned crash cooling, prolonged opening of kiln reduces the life of the kiln elements. It's been awhile since I've done a comb but from what I remember the reheat gives me time to have a beer and think about the next moves. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
seachange

Post by seachange »

Haven't got a reply to your question but thought you might b interested in the youtube film "fusing and raking glass" by theedgeofglass

Sorry can't add a link here, just got new android tablet, don't yet know how to copy/paste.

Best regards, seachange
ironman55

Post by ironman55 »

Thanks for the replies. I have been corresponding Tim from the edge of glass for several years now, he is pretty good at his trade. He also has some really good videos.
I know that opening the kiln is probably hard on it, but don't know how else to rake. I had designed a kiln that would be great for raking and I even sent an AutoCad drawing to a manufacturer but never got a reply back. Instead of opening the top you open the front and pull the shelf out to do the raking.

So yes on the torch or no? what model of torch would you suggest?

Thanks, :)
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

I can see your problem having to deal with a top loading kiln to comb, my old girl is a front loader, Paragon GLA22 and it was a breeze to do the task with a long timber handle with hook attachment which at that angle gave me a sense of control. The beauty of it is,is that it is a one man show for the task. I've removed a panel once it was fused to then slump over a s/s mould positioned very close to kiln then replaced for cooling/annealing, had to work quick and at the time thinking how handy it would have been with a second person with a big torch. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!