Angle of scoring head?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kopperwood

Angle of scoring head?

Post by Kopperwood »

I'm currently redesigning the glass scoring attachment on my cnc cutter. On my current attachment, I have the head square to the glass side to side and front to back. Of course, it is important that the side to side be perfectly square to the glass. However, when most of us hand cut we tend to have a slight angle front to back. I just wonder if that angle has any effect of the quality of the cut. In other words, will the quality of the cut be the same if the head is square versus at an angle front to back. I can set it at angle. Just want to have a score as near perfect as possible.

Perry
Marty

Re: Angle of scoring head?

Post by Marty »

As long as the wheel is perpendicular to the surface of the glass I can't see how the angle would matter- you'd be using the same edge relative to the axle.
Kopperwood

Post by Kopperwood »

If the head is at an angle to the glass, side to side, the edge of the glass shows the same angle. So the break continues along the score angle. So, in theory, if the head is at an angle, front to back, the fracture either runs a little in front of the score or behind it depending on how it is angled, right? Just wondering if this effect is actual or just in theory.

Perry
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

The axle must be parallel to the glass surface. The pressure must be within the functional range. If there is too much pressure, you will see striations on the edge of the glass emanating from the score (after the break out). If the pressure is light, these marks may not be visible. You want to adjust your pressure to be somewhere in the middle of the range of what works. This is true for hand cutting, or machine cutting.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions