Ceramic Frits compatible with 96?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Terry Gallentine

Ceramic Frits compatible with 96?

Post by Terry Gallentine »

Does anyone know if there are any ceramic frits that have a similar COE to system 96 frit?
Bert Weiss

Re: Ceramic Frits compatible with 96?

Post by Bert Weiss »

Terry Gallentine wrote:Does anyone know if there are any ceramic frits that have a similar COE to system 96 frit?
There are quite a few alternatives. First any onglaze style colors will fit, because they require such a thin application, that they fit on any glass we might use, Ferro Sunshine Series, Fusemaster, Kaiser, Unique, or several others. Once you have a thicker application, you do have to be in the compatible zone. Since many glass blowers use clear glass that matches the 96, there are a plethora of manufacturers that make colors. Common sense says you should test any of them. Thompson Enamel makes a line, then there are Kugler, Reichenbach, Zimmerman etc http://www.glasscolor.com/colors/default.aspx
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Terry Gallentine

Post by Terry Gallentine »

Thanks Bert but I am not looking for a replacement for 96 colored frits. I am interested in using standard ceramic clear frits as an alternative to clear system 96 frits.
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

Terry Gallentine wrote:Thanks Bert but I am not looking for a replacement for 96 colored frits. I am interested in using standard ceramic clear frits as an alternative to clear system 96 frits.
I have messed around with Ferro's inexpensive clear frits. They worked fine for me on float glass. I think they will work on 96. I inquired at Ferro why they are so cheap. The answer is that they are made in large batches and not ground super fine. The more expensive clear frit 10-117, that is part of the Sunshine series is expensive. It is made in small batches and ground quite finely.

My experiments were to find frits that stick at slumping temperatures but do not gloss. My goal was to get a satin etch that looks like a sandblast surface for bent lighting glass. I was able to do this, and to tint them using Sunshine Series colors. I bought several frits at my local pottery supply. Standard Ceramic carries them as well.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions