decal firing schedule suggestions? THANK YOU for any help

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

JoanG

decal firing schedule suggestions? THANK YOU for any help

Post by JoanG »

Decal Question...ANY help greatly appreciated
I am using black low fire decals on a small 2 layered glass piece and firing it in my small hot start kiln. The thermostat doesn't give me many options for controlling the firing schedule. I fired the first time using the decal instructions which indicated that the top temperature was 1290 with a 10 minute hold. The extra "stuff" around the decal (trimmed) was still visible. SO the question is...higher temperature? longer hold time?
I'm new to decals, but not to fusing,,,BUT have a little bit of a time issue so ANY help is appreciated...
THANK YOU
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: decal firing schedule suggestions? THANK YOU for any help

Post by Brad Walker »

The "extra stuff" around the decal will almost always be visible after the firing, so if that's the only issue the schedule was fine.
JoanG

Re: decal firing schedule suggestions? THANK YOU for any help

Post by JoanG »

I appreciate your response. I keep seeing work without that "stuff" so I still feel like I might be missing something. The results are disappointing and I see such beautiful pieces by other.
THANKS!