uroboros mottles - can I firepolish edges?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

seachange

uroboros mottles - can I firepolish edges?

Post by seachange »

Hi

Have a project where I only need to fire polish the edges of 3mm cut glass (pieces about 4" square). No fusing of 2 pieces, therefore no compatibility issues with different coes.

I am looking for interesting patterned multicolor glass, and came across uroboros mottles. It is not designed as fusible, and it is not cheap.

For BE irid on black 3mm I fire polish the edges at 736 C (1357 F).

Has anyone done this successfully with the Uro mottles? Or other interesting non-fusible glasses? I am looking at opaque "peacock" or "jewel" color mixes, and also at earthy mixes.

There could be incompatibility issues among the different colors in the one piece of glass and devit problems.

Therefore thought I better ask before I start dreaming...the color mixes are quite beautiful. Would a home made borax application help? There are no food concerns and it is only indoors use.

Many thanks in advance, seachange
Marty

Re: uroboros mottles - can I firepolish edges?

Post by Marty »

I tried it (long ago) with some Urob mottles and it was a complete failure- mottles disappeared, colors went blah, glass devitrified and some actually crumbled.
However- it would take you no time at all to put some scraps in your kiln and find out for yourself.
DonMcClennen

Post by DonMcClennen »

Years ago I did this same experiment.... same results as Marty
"The Glassman"
BillsBayou

Post by BillsBayou »

Doesn't sound good so far. I say do it! Post photos.
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

you will waste the glass if you fire it.
seachange

Post by seachange »

Many thanks to all for your replies.

I'll drop the idea. Unfortunately didn't have any scraps to try (never went into lead lighting).

It costs me $50 a sheet plus $24.50 transport just to test if (I am in Australia, glass is available in Australia, but half a continent away from me), so you have all just saved me $74...very much appreciated :D

I shall invest in another sheet of BE iridized instead.

Thanks again and all best wishes, seachange
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Seachange,
If you REALLY want to try it for yourself I can mail you a small piece. I asked the same question some time ago as I wanted to use it to paint and fire for a particular effect but the replies I received here made it clear that it wasn't likely to work. Jen
seachange

Post by seachange »

Thanks Jen, I appreciate the offer. The glass is very attractive. But I'll leave it alone for now. In my very limited experience trying non fusible glasses (once, years ago, don't remember what it was), the small piece seemed ok, but the slightly larger didn't.

We are building a shed this coming winter so all wet working equipment will be set up and ready to use. After this has happened, I might still buy a piece and polish the cut edges with the Covington.

Thanks again and best wishes, seachange