Question about Evenheat 2541-9

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Sherry Salito-Forsen

Question about Evenheat 2541-9

Post by Sherry Salito-Forsen »

I might be able to get a 13 year old Evenheat 2541-9 with Rampmaster2 .does anyone know if I can fire this using only the top elements??
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Question about Evenheat 2541-9

Post by Brad Walker »

The standard Rampmaster II doesn't have the ability to select only one set of elements; in order to do that the kiln would need to have been modified so that you could switch either top or body or both on. That's not the standard configuration, which has two sets of elements in the lid and one in the body.

You might want to contact Evenheat to confirm, but I'm pretty certain the answer to your question is no: http://www.evenheat-kiln.com/?pg=contact-us
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Brad is correct. Also, the top elements alone will not get you to fusing temperature... only to about 1000F.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Sherry Salito-Forsen

Post by Sherry Salito-Forsen »

Thank you Brad and Tony. That seems interesting that the kiln wouldn't reach fusing temps with only the top firing. I am so dumb with
anything electrical. Is it because of the size of the interior??
I think my existing kiln is about 3. 6 CU interior , it's a aim 2909 and has 16. 2 amps, side and 16.2 for the top elements. I only use the top elements because of my power constraints. I was hoping there would be someway I could make that larger
Kiln work for me without too much hassle .
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

It would be easy enough to check, but when I had a relay go bad and lost the side elements, the kiln didn't make it to fusing temp.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun