Some Bones

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

gottev

Some Bones

Post by gottev »

My dog and I were exploring around our local rodeo grounds and I found some bones that are probably from a pronghorn or deer. I couldn't resist trying to make them out of glass - the photos below show my finished bones. I used a Pate de Verre technique that I've been exploring and am very happy with the results. These are made with BE Glass Powders and a little bit of Reusche powder for color accents.
Attachments
Fired Tailbone-2 small.jpg
Fired Tailbone-1 small.jpg
Last edited by gottev on Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kevin Midgley

Re: Some Bones

Post by Kevin Midgley »

e: Glass Casting Forum ?
from a post I made in april 2013:

Re: Archive posts
Yeah and the one series of posts I miss Brad are those of glassburl, Hugh Mckay and his glass casting processes.
He's doing fine work now:http://www.castglassforms.com/index.html
That ought to inspire the newbees.
gottev

Post by gottev »

Hi Kevin, thank you for the link. Beautiful and interesting work. BTW, I don't use the wax process, nor am I trying to achieve this type of cast look in my work.
gottev

Post by gottev »

I had a suggestion to show the real bones as well as my PdV version - so I've added these two photos. In each set, the left bone is the real one, and the right is PdV. As you can see, there is some shrinkage because I use powders.
Attachments
Bone comparison-2.jpg
Bone comparison-1.jpg
Havi

Post by Havi »

I find this very amazing!
Very interesting.
At the beginning I thought it was the real bones, not the glass. I suggest you try to develop this more. Do you know that Henry Moore, one of the greatest sculptors of 20th century was inspired by bones??

Good luck,

Havi
Haviva Z
- - - - with a smile :)

"Speed comes from the Devil" - (an Arabic proverb)
http://www.havivaz.com
gottev

Post by gottev »

Thanks, Havi, I have been working and developing this process, and was honored to have my "Bones" group selected as Honorable Mention in Emerge 2018. Since then I've moved on to do some skulls. I'll post some pics in a separate post.