Is BE black really a deep green?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Greg Rawls

Is BE black really a deep green?

Post by Greg Rawls »

Is BE black really a very deep green? Reason I ask is I was doing a vitragraph. I mixed chipped BE black and Tekta white hoping for gray. All of the rods came out a sort of celery green from light to very dark. Thoughts?
Greg
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Is BE black really a deep green?

Post by Brad Walker »

I know that during their environmental issue period, the black was reformulated and it wasn't a pure black. They also did not make frit during this period.

A couple of months ago they started making black frit again, so I assume they also started making good black sheets at that time. So my best guess is that black made in most of 2017 (and perhaps some of 2016) is not as pure a black as the old black or what they're making in 2018.
Judd

Post by Judd »

Well... celery is a good color... right?
;-)
Valerie Adams

Post by Valerie Adams »

I remember hearing (while at Bullseye?) that black varies; sometimes it's more blue, sometimes green, sometimes purple, etc.
Greg Rawls

Post by Greg Rawls »

The black I used was from a scrape bucket so I guess the glass is 5-7 years old. I'm actually liking the color I got!
Greg
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

All of the black that I have looked at was a deep purple.
You have to get a very thin piece to look through it.
The other Jim
Ed Cantarella

Post by Ed Cantarella »

Same as Jim, I've gotten dark purple-ish when it gets thin, like in a drop vase. BE "Stiff black" was dark green (kale? :) ) for me in similar composition setting but the light needed to be super bright and you had to pretty much press up to your eyes to tell the color.
HER last words were, "I'm melting, melting . . . " Dissenting opinions generally welcome for comic relief or personal edification. Sometimes both.