Firing glass and pottery together

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Julia

Firing glass and pottery together

Post by Julia »

Hi I’m new to this forum not sure if I’m asking this question in the right place..
I’m interested in both glass work and pottery and wondering if the 2 can be combined, can you add small pieces of glass to the bottom of a dish before final firing? Look forward to any responses, Julia
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Firing glass and pottery together

Post by Brad Walker »

You'll run into two problems.

First, glass and clay almost always have different coefficients of expansion. This means that they will crack when the piece cools. The cracking will usually get worse over time.

The second problem is that clay and glass are usually fired to very different temperatures. Fusing takes place at around 1500F/816C, while pottery is fired much hotter than that. Fusing temperatures aren't hot enough to mature clay and clay temperatures are so hot that the glass runs all over the place.

On the other hand, there are kilns that can fire either glass or pottery (just not at the same time, in the same piece).

Hope this helps.
Julia

Re: Firing glass and pottery together

Post by Julia »

Thanks for your response