Emulsion for Glycol/Glycerine Enamel Print Medium

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

cemoore

Emulsion for Glycol/Glycerine Enamel Print Medium

Post by cemoore »

Hi!
I'm slowly getting back into screen printing with enamels on float and have read many relevant posts. I'm pretty much following Bert's advice as its so close to what I'm trying to do. I'm using Reusche or Reusche clear glaze (all of the Series 5 lead/cad free variety) with mason stains as my pigment/flux combo. I'm having great success with tests using Propylene Glycol and glycerine as Bert suggests and love that it is water cleanup as I still have nightmare over the pine oil I tried in the past. I now want to start moving on to emulsion-based screen making and stuck on the question of the best and maybe most forgiving emulsion (probably dual cure?) for the water soluble PG/glycerine medium. Any product suggestions?
Thanks,
Cathy
cemoore

Re: Emulsion for Glycol/Glycerine Enamel Print Medium

Post by cemoore »

Follow-up: I've ordered some "Ecotex® PWR Water Resistant Screen Printing Emulsion" given there weren't many emulsions out there advertising reasonably good water soluble "ink" resistance. I would have tried a capillary film, but water-resistant type isn't much of a thing yet - maybe geared toward textile printing. I liked that it came pre-sensitized and has a 12 month shelf life - nothing worse than watching expensive materials expire! Wish me luck!
Don Burt

Post by Don Burt »

I use a glycol-based water-soluble medium (Reusche D1368). I've been using Ulano Orange emulsion. If I'm printing enamels I may coat both sides of the screen, to get a little more thickness and deposit a little thicker coat of enamel, but for line work I just coat the bottom side of the screen. I've been able to use a single container of the orange emulsion for maybe 18 months, although it's gooey by that point. The orange emulsion after exposure stands up to water quite well. In fact its always a pain to reclaim the screens.
cemoore

Post by cemoore »

Thanks Don. I've used Ulano films before and was happy with them. If the Ecotex emulsion I'm waiting for doesn't work out I'll check out the Ulano Orange. Ideally getting back up and running I might have used a film, even if pricier. From my research so far, I don't see a film that is used with water soluble ink. The Ecotex product says 12 month life, we shall see!
Cathy