Seeking Smallish Kiln for Casting

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Doppler999

Seeking Smallish Kiln for Casting

Post by Doppler999 »

Hello,

I would like get a small kiln for lost PLA or resin glass casting. I will be putting the kiln on a 30A circuit.

I am interested in objects that would work in a tall “cube”, something like 14” x 14” bottom x 18” high.

I want an advanced controller, perhaps a Genesis, solid state relays, and would prefer fiber to brick for energy efficiency and weight.

I can’t find anything commercially available - is anyone aware of any? If not, are there any custom builders that people could recommend?

Thank you.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Seeking Smallish Kiln for Casting

Post by Brad Walker »

Lots of pottery kilns that would work and they're great for casting.

Here's an example: https://www.olympickilns.com/product/1818e/ but Olympic makes many other sizes and they do custom work, also.

We cast in this one, a little taller: https://www.olympickilns.com/product/1823he/

For what it's worth, I'm an Olympic distributor so contact me if you'd like.
Doppler999

Post by Doppler999 »

Thanks, Brad.

Do you have insights into the tradeoffs of the Top-Hat versions of the Olympics?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Doppler999 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:53 pm Do you have insights into the tradeoffs of the Top-Hat versions of the Olympics?
The Top-Hat kilns are really made for raku or something similar, when you open the kiln during the firing. That's not normal during casting (unless you're adding more glass, which shouldn't be needed it you planned right).

Top-Hats are also more expensive.

On the other hand, they are usually made with top elements, which can help with fusing, but not necessarily needed for casting. (Of course you can get Olympic to do top elements in any kiln if you want.)
Doppler999

Post by Doppler999 »

I was thinking of the top hat more for ease of loading and unloading, rather than mid-process pausing. I note that Morganica had one built for her, but did not actually use it.

With regard to brick - does thicker brick reduce total energy usage?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Yes, it would be easier to load and unload, but it's not that hard to load a top loading kiln.

Not sure why Cynthia didn't use the kiln after she had it built.

Thicker brick means you hold more heat, which does save energy on long holds during annealing. It would also cool slower, which could be good or bad, depending. Thicker brick would probably last a bit longer (as would the elements), but you might give up some interior room.

Both top-hat and top loading kilns can be built with 2 1/2" or 3" bricks.