Fiber Kilns- scheduling

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Bonnie Rubinstein

Fiber Kilns- scheduling

Post by Bonnie Rubinstein »

Hi All-
So I am looking at perhaps perchasing the jenken Profusion 52" Fiber top kiln. (cant find new large brick kilns!)

I am concerned about the learning curve on the heating up and annealing schedules with fiber. I understand that more kilns are now made with fiber vs. brick. What is your experience (anyone) with fiber kilns? Good/ bad/ hard or easy to schedule?
thanks!
Bonnie Rubinstein
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Fiber Kilns- scheduling

Post by Brad Walker »

I've owned fiber kilns for over 15 years now. I found no significant differences in schedules.

Fiber kilns will cool a bit quicker if you have a fiber shelf, but if you have a mullite/cordierite shelf they cool at about the same rate.
Bonnie Rubinstein

That is very good news, Brad. I appreciate it
Bonnie Rubinstein
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

One thing I should mention. Fiber kilns do heat up faster than brick ones, but usually you're constraining the rate with your schedule, so that difference doesn't come into play.

Jen-Ken says that in their fiber kilns you can heat as fast as possible without cracking the piece, but I've never tried it and am not sure I believe them. But if you try it let me know what happens.
Bonnie Rubinstein

No way will I try that.
After 25 years, I have learned.. not too fast up and very slow down.
I am purchasing this kiln for a class I will teach out of state. It is being shipped there. So, I wont have time for a learning curve on it. Will arrive there to teach, and hopefully the kiln and I will like each other! (wish me luck)
Bonnie Rubinstein