Glass carving gun (abrasive blasting)

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Buttercup

Glass carving gun (abrasive blasting)

Post by Buttercup »

I'm hoping someone can help me out with a brand name and specs. for a good sand carving gun. The excellent one I had in Canada didn't make it here. Possibly Border Security thought it was a weapon and we have really strict rules about those. Or maybe it just got nicked, anyway, I don't have it and want to replace it.
Unfortunately I don't know how to identify it. From memory I think it came from a machine shop in the US and was their design. It was tungsten carbide and indestructible, never required the nozzle, or any other part replaced and was comfortable to hold and operate.
Searching on-line hasn't offered any joy. I have found large tungsten carbide nozzles but not a complete gun with a small nozzle.
Any suggestions from someone familiar with glass carving sincerely appreciated.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Glass carving gun (abrasive blasting)

Post by Brad Walker »

This is a really long shot, but here goes.

There used to be (maybe still is) a blasting gun made by a guy named Bob Pickard and called the PAB Blaster. His site is dead, so I don't know if he is, too.

Anyway, there's another guy named Eric Robert who says he has a similar product, but his site is really old so I don't know if he's in business now either. But his site is still around: https://www.glassetchingsecrets.com/ I don't know if he can help you, but if he's around maybe he can. He certainly would know more than I do about where to look.

Brad
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thank you so much, Brad! I'll see if I can make contact. :D
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

the sandwitch.com may have what you want but Firefox says the site is insecure American site

Find your abrasive supplier locally.
Manus.com
Overseas commodities.
Canadian sites
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Thank you for those suggestions, Kevin.

It seems that Butch doesn't have her on-line store anymore. I checked the others, too.

Although small tips (1/16" and 3/32") are available I couldn't find any info about the gun they were made for, Empire.

There are local suppliers with small ceramic tips so I'll probably just stick with the siphon and pressure systems I currently have and burn through ceramic tips.

Thanks again, Kevin.
Buttercup

Post by Buttercup »

Buttercup wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:04 pm Thank you so much, Brad! I'll see if I can make contact. :D
Bingo! After much searching with no luck I found another site that seems to be related and shows long-lasting tips. I haven't made actual contact yet as it's the weekend but I'll contact the vendor and report back in case it helps someone else.

https://www.sandblasterinfo.com/super-c ... ment-95770

It's not the siphon feed gun that I was looking for but the tips will work in my pressure system.

I did find a PAB siohon gun that had a small tank on top......not what I'd use for a session of several hours blasting, too awkward. I also saw a uTube video of a PAB gun being used in a cabinet but no info about it.

Thanks brad.