Need Info on a Heavy Duty Glass Grinder

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

candala

Need Info on a Heavy Duty Glass Grinder

Post by candala »

Hi, I've been using the Glastar grinder with good results. My pieces are around 2 to 4 square inches and they are about 1/3 of an inch thick. I am finding that I'm killing my thumbs pushing the glass into the grinding bit. I am also going through bits faster than normal. Someone recommended a Diamond Tech "Diamond Max" for its grinding disk. Does anyone have this grinder? Can someone recommend a grinder for the more heavy duty grinding? Thank you.
Jason Boebinger

Post by Jason Boebinger »

I have the diamond max router and mini lap, I like, though it is a little messy. I use the lap for straight edges and when I want to round off the edges of small pieces, then I finish grinding with router for more control. The lap grinds alot faster than just a router. For the price it's worth it. You also might look for some stuff called "gator tape" for your finger tips, I have never used it but it's supposted to protect finger tips with out losing dextairity. Ive used gloves that dentists work with, they work for a while and there inexpencive.
Brian and Jenny Blanthorn

Re: Need Info on a Heavy Duty Glass Grinder

Post by Brian and Jenny Blanthorn »

candala wrote:Hi, I've been using the Glastar grinder with good results. My pieces are around 2 to 4 square inches and they are about 1/3 of an inch thick. I am finding that I'm killing my thumbs pushing the glass into the grinding bit. I am also going through bits faster than normal. Someone recommended a Diamond Tech "Diamond Max" for its grinding disk. Does anyone have this grinder? Can someone recommend a grinder for the more heavy duty grinding? Thank you.
If ur realy serious U might wanna use a grinding wheel

If U wanna pay some $$$$$$

Reply 2 this n I will help U spend lots
Phil Hoppes

Going through bits

Post by Phil Hoppes »

At 1/3" you may be going through bits because you might not be getting good lubricant to the top of the disk. The Glastar's are really a stained glass tool and work optimum for thickness of one sheet, or 1/8". I'd have to look at mine but from my feable recollection, the sponge that comes with it is just big enough to stay in the water trough and feed water to the bottom portion of the grinding disk. You can probably just get a longer sponge and you will get better lubrication on the top of the disk. If edge grinding larger pieces is something you are going to do on a regular basis you may wish to invest in a small water pump like the kind used on tile saws and jury-rig up a water feed system to the disk. If the disk is not lubricated well over the entire cutting surface you will burn out a cutting disk in no time.

Phil
charlie

Post by charlie »

if your thumbs are hurting, you're not using the grinder correctly. it takes some time to work, so you should be putting little pressure on the glass. overpressure is bad for the bearings in the motor, and wears out the head prematurely.

1: ensure you have water over the entire head
2: you're aware that the head moves up and down to expose fresh grinding surface?
3: thicker takes longer, don't try to work as fast
4: you're aware that you can get different grit heads? a fine grit head will work far slower than an agressive one.