Larger Floral Formers

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Al Bray

Larger Floral Formers

Post by Al Bray »

I am wondering if someone out there has a source for taller stainless steel floral/vase slumping formers.

I have a 13.5 " deep kiln and looking for a former in the 9.5"-12" range. The ones I currently have are the 7" and 4 1/2" draping cylindes sold through places the more popular stained/warm glass supply houses.

However these places don't carry anything larger.

I have scoured the web for other stainless steel items that I could possible use. Even thought about using stainless steel martini shakers...but then again the largest one that I can find is in the 8" range.

I have located a couple of different Ceramic Vase that are tall enough...but know that one is not suppose to drape/slump over ceramic especially with inside glass surfaces this steep.

Any pointers to a source...or even just ideas how to get the height and shape I am looking for out of other "fireable" items would be greatly appreciated.

I guess a side question I have is how far away should one stay from the lid elements in a kiln. I have the Skutt GM 1414 (41.5"w x 24.5"d x 13.5"h)

- Al

FYI....I am very new to warm glass and have found this sight (along with Brad's Comtemporary Warm Glass book) immensily valuable for gaining a good working knowledge of the basics of working with warm glass. And I know that both of these resources have saved me hours of frustration and potential mistakes made when one first starts up in this craft/art form. My sincere thanks to all and I very much look forward to continue to learn about working in this medium and hopefully someday will able to give something back.
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Al,

Start searching for stainless steel ice buckets. If you can find one that isn't double walled or foam lined, you can use it for draping.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
charlie

Post by charlie »

i bought a steel vase at cost plus, an import home furnishings place. it's 10-11" or so. they also have martini shakers, but they're more expensive than a restaurant supply store.
gone

Post by gone »

You can also stack the floral former on top of another stainless form, like the ice bucket from Ikea. Works fine.

Els
cindyj

stainless steel floral formers

Post by cindyj »

Stainless steal martini shakers. That is what I am currently using. Helps cut down on the drinking on Friday nights :?
Susan Slack

Post by Susan Slack »

Check out resturant supply houses. They have a wide variety of stainless steel items.
Susan from Green Oaks