What do you know about applying for public art projects?

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Steph Mader

What do you know about applying for public art projects?

Post by Steph Mader »

So, what do you guys know about public art projects? How do you find out about them? Do they favor artists who have done projects before, or do newbies have a good chance? I did one of the Seattle pigs, but that's my only foray into public art so far. I'd like to go for more, but I'd love to hear from any of you who have been there.
Nickie Jordan

Post by Nickie Jordan »

Apply to your state council on the arts, for the mailings (at least in this area).
There is usually a 'panel' of people that decide - it's not whether you're 'accomplished' nesessarily, but, whether they (as a group) like your proposal. Proffesional slides, resume' helps immensly !
My opinion is to submit for them. You just never know if your great idea 'trips their fancy'.
Good luck ! - Nickie
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

I know that the last one I submitted a proposal for was rejected :shock: .

Actually, this is one of those things like entering a juried show. You've got to look good from the get go to even be considered, so a professional proposal with good slides et cetera is a must...

It takes a good deal of time to craft a good proposal, but if you get the job, it can be very lucrative and once your foot is in the door, your chances of getting future jobs gets better too. I'm still trying to get my foot in the door. :lol:

Contact your local and regional and other states (if you are willing to work far from home) arts councils and get your name on the mailing list for public works. Often these calls for proposals are listed on a website as well, so if you can find those sites (usually through an arts council) you will be able to see who is looking for public works.

Good luck, good fortune, or happy proposal writing...all will come in handy.
Becky Bergsma

Post by Becky Bergsma »

Hi Steph,
There is a Washigton State Arts Commission Artist Resource Bank that you can apply for.They take applications every 2 years. Once you get in they use it to represent you to specific art projects in the region.
I have the info, I will dig it out. This might be a good subject for one of our meetings?
Becky
Steph Mader

Post by Steph Mader »

Thanks guys, that helps. I get the mailings from my local arts comissions, but most of the projects are so huge that they are a bit intimidating. I'm not quite ready for the $50,000 library project. Maybe some day soon.

Becky - good idea about the meeting topic, I will try to get on the list next time around. I'd also love to talk about grants. Phil Teefy said to get on a grants committee, so that you learn what's available out there. Very interesting.

Steph
Geri Comstock

Post by Geri Comstock »

Somehow I got on the list for mailings to artists for public art projects for the City of San Jose, where I live. Every few months or so, I get a mailing from them with a call for a proposals.

I didn't apply to be on this list and I don't know how I got on it, except that once I met a city councilman who asked for my card...maybe that was it...dunno.

You may want to check the city you live in to see if they have such a system in place and how to get on their list.
Tim Lewis

Post by Tim Lewis »

Steph,

I have taken a couple of workshops on public art and the general rule of thumb is to start with small projects and plan well. The vast majority of first and second timers under plan the amount of time it will take and end up loosing money. Most artists just break even at best.

So if you are good at planning and your regular work looks sort of like what they may want, go for it.
Tim