Glass in Albuquerque, NM

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Chris H

Glass in Albuquerque, NM

Post by Chris H »

Going to be there for a week! Would like to know of places to visit while there! any ideas? checked the achrives with no luck in finding anything. Thanks :)
Last edited by Chris H on Tue May 13, 2003 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carol Craiglow

ABQ

Post by Carol Craiglow »

Hi christine...I don't live in ABQ, but I live in Santa Fe. There are a couple of other board folks that may add more about ABQ than I know.

Mariposa Gallery in the Nob Hill area carries some glass work, among a wide selection of other media. Somei in the Old Towne area also carries some glass artists.

There are probably more, but this is all I know about.

If you make it to Santa Fe, e-mail and I'll tell you of some places here in town that carry glass.

have fun!

Carol
Bob L Workshop - Take Two
June 10-11-12
Santa Fe NM
http://www.warmglass.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=10420
Chris H

Post by Chris H »

Thanks Carol I'll check these out! :)
Jerry Barnett

Post by Jerry Barnett »

Well, Christine, I tried to send you a private message, but got an "Invalid_Session" message instead. Curses.

Depending upon the timing of your trip, there are two glass shows that you could see. The KiMo Theater Gallery (downtown, Central at 5th) is up through 6/25. It is limited to wall-mounted pieces, but the quality should be good. Hours are Mon-Fri, 9:00-3:00. The show at Hot Flash Glass (2111 San Mateo, block south of I-40/San Mateo interchange) runs from 5/23 to 6/25. Hours are Mon-Fri, 10:00-6:00, Sat, 10:00-5:00

I recommend that you get a copy of "Collector's Guide", which has a couple hundred pages of galleries and includes maps. It is free and is available at many galleries and some hotels. May be available at the information booth on the baggage claim level of the airport.

Albuquerque does not have a glass gallery, but most craft shops will have a little (except for Native American and Hispanic).

Carol mentioned Mariposa (3500 Central SE), which I think is the best craft gallery in town, despite showing my work. See Marcia Newren's fused glass vessels. Duane Dahl's glass and rock pieces. They should have one of Emily Brock's constructions and pieces by George Zarolinski. They also have torchwork and blown pieces. The Nob Hill area has other shops and galleries.

I'm not familar with the Old Town gallery that Carol mentioned, but should probably look it up. Southwest Mercado (121 Romero NW) has glass, primarily national artists, but they were also showing a local artist's fused/stained glass panels. There are other craft galleries in Old Town that have some glass. And if you are interested in Indian art, Tanner Chaney Gallery (323 Romero NW) should be a good choice.

Carol will be more familar with Santa Fe (about an hour's drive) than I, but in the Plaza area I would suggest LewAllen (which also shows Ramona Sakiestewa's amazing tapestry, 129 W. Palace) and Hansel (112 Don Gaspar) galleries. Along Canyon Road, I think Glory Hole Glassworks (Peter Vanderlaan/Mary Beth Bliss's gallery at 202 Canyon Rd.) and Running Ridge Gallery (blown and hot cast glass at 640 Canyon Rd.) are must see. While you're in the area also look at the world class bamboo art at Tai Gallery (616-1/2 Canyon Rd.).

And if you make it that far, head north on Hwy. 84/285 to the Tesuque exit (6 miles). Follow the road down into the valley and turn right at Tesuque Market, where I usually stop to eat. Turn right again and you are on Bishop's Lodge Road. Charlie Miner's Tesuque Glassworks and Shidoni Foundry are on the right in about a mile. Charlie's place is primarily blown glass, which you can watch being made, but he also shows his amazing kiln cast pieces. Across the drive is a gallery which had some of Doug Randal's fused glass the last time I was there. And Shidoni, a major art foundry, has two large sculpture gardens. They are doing work on the highway, so if the first Tesuque exit is closed, head on to the second one (2 or 3 more miles) and come back south. To return to Santa Fe, you can retrace your route or continue on Bishop's Lodge Road, a typical northern New Mexico road.

Hope you enjoy your trip.

Jerry
Chris H

Post by Chris H »

Thanks Jerry, This information is great and will keep me very busy.
Thanks again.