a what is this Q

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

rodney

a what is this Q

Post by rodney »

im wondering what is the WHITE LINE this is between many of this little tiles
here is the link,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.bullseyeconnectiongallery.co ... &NextRow=4

thanks
rodney
Carla

Post by Carla »

My guess.

It sez it is "cold worked" so I'm thinking it was mosaiced together and the white lines are grout.

Carla
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

Carla wrote:My guess.

It sez it is "cold worked" so I'm thinking it was mosaiced together and the white lines are grout.

Carla
Not if it's a blown piece... no grout there.

My guess is that they either fused white frit in between the pieces or the murrini that they used had a white border.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Jackie Beckman

Post by Jackie Beckman »

I'm sure that's not grout. That roll-up (which I know very little about but would love to know more one day) is made from a panel composed of murini slices and the "white line" you see is the outter color of each murini slice. Picture a pattern bar pulled into a long narrow piece then sliced to make the murini. The outter color on the pattern bar becomes the outter color of the murini slice. (I think Giles may repeat that step several times - but someone who knows better could answer that) Next a flat panel is fused from the slices and a roll up made from the panel. As I said, I know next to nothing about this process, but it seems that's what you're looking at. I am sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.
Melissa Terman

Post by Melissa Terman »

Yup, that's right. No grout. Each little square/tile that you see surrounded by white is a cut/slice from a murrine pull (a heated and stretched pattern bar) that was encased with white. The rest is a classic roll up. If you are intrigued by this techniqe, then check out the work of Dante Marioni or Davide Salvidore. I'm seeing more and more of this type of work from other American artists as well.

I've pulled murrine and I've done roll ups. I'm new to fusing and I can't wait to try to roll up some of my pattern bars (much more intricate than any murrine I've pulled).
Melissa Terman
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

If you lay out murrini slices or cut glass like mosaic squares, the white lines filling those gaps are created by powdered white glass used like grout, or else the murrhini is bordered by a white glass.

It's certainly possible that the white lines aren't powdered glass used like grout, but an easier solution rather than the border of the murrini being white is hard for me to figure. The unififormity suggests a white opal powdered glass used as a grout prior to firing rather than a border of white glass of the murrinin cane.
Marty

Post by Marty »

If you roll a gather in powder or frit and then pull it for cane or murrini, the color thins out too much. To keep the color, if the set-up is done on a blow pipe, the outer (cased) color can be added by dipping in a pot of molten colored glass, by rolling up a sheet, or by melting a blob of color over the gather. I think that what Giles does is set up his pattern bars with an outer layer of white opal BE, fuses and then pulls. He also bundles those pulled bars and does it again.
Lani McGregor

Post by Lani McGregor »

A few fine points:

1. Technically, what Giles does is not a “roll-upâ€