slumping in a mold

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

tattooedpanda

slumping in a mold

Post by tattooedpanda »

I have just slumped a 11 inch sq dish and ended up with bubbles pointy edges ans stuck kiln wash this was my first attempt and it was in the kiln at about 1520 for 20 minutes . I was wondering if I could use the paper under the glass would it conform to the shape of the mold what temp should I slump to I using a pryometer . the peice was off set in the kiln and the kiln is a 17 inch Blue Diamond kiln with 2 sets of coils I started out on low both sets for 20 minutes then top on med bottom on low 20 minutes then bottom on med for 20 minutes then top on high for 20 minutes. then I shut it down and let it cool down by it self till it is cool.
Heidi

Post by Heidi »

I'm sure someone with more experience can give you more detailed help, but to get you started, 1520 is much too high a temp for slumping. (In most kilns, that's hotter than necessary for fusing.) I slump between 1150 and 1250, often with a very short hold.

I can't address your firing schedule, but I can for sure say you've fired way too hot. You will not need to put paper in your mold, the wash will not stick at the lower temp and your piece will not distort as it did.

Try again to 1250 and watch it to see when it's slumped into the mold.

Good luck with your next attempt,
Heidi
Rob Morey

Post by Rob Morey »

[/quote 1520 is much too high a temp for slumping. (In most kilns, that's hotter than necessary for fusing.) I slump between 1150 and 1250, often with a very short hold. ]

Heidi is right. As a rule, when working with glass, the slower and the lower, the better. Depending on the thickness of the glass, (the thicker the glass, the faster it will slump,) move slowly past 1000 to no higher than 1250. I usually go 150 to 200 per hour and I almost never go past 1180. Quite often the piece has dropped by 1100. I will hold there until I am satisfied.

Rob