Mica Powders

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Lauralei

Mica Powders

Post by Lauralei »

Has anyone worked with Mica powders and can offer some application and timing tips? Thanks ! [-o<
Lauralei
Heidi

Post by Heidi »

Lauralei,

Try checking the "old archive" and you'll find loads of helpful information about how to use mica powders.

Heidi
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

I've been working with micas for over 15 years. They can be applied in a variety of ways, but airbrushing is best for a smooth and even coverage. They do not melt, so you need to get your base glass vitreous enough for them to stick. Somewhere between 1350-1415 depending on your kiln. If you overfire, they will appear more like a glaze. Micas are most striking on a black or dark base glass. This is a basic overview....you can find much information in the archives.

Avery
Lauralei

Thanks!

Post by Lauralei »

Thanks Avery! I'll be in your Corning Studio class this Aug - but as I have a GL24 ADTST on the way - I know I won't last that long! Too late to get into Judith's class with you - so back to NY . thanks for the info - i'll work on it. would you say that an airbrush is the only application method?
Lauralei
Avery Anderson

Post by Avery Anderson »

Hi Lauralei:

I'll look forward to meeting you at Corning. It should be a fabulous class...two whole weeks; state of the art equipment, and the fabulous Rakow library! Plus, Brock and I have a few surprises in store!!!

On the micas, you can sponge them, paint them, etc, but they will show brush marks. They don't like to be sifted because they clump. You can sprinkle them also. What you see if pretty much what you will get. Depends on the look you are trying to achieve. Airbrushing is the very best method in my opinion. I use Klyr Fire as a binder when airbrushing. We will cover all of this at Corning.

Looking forward to seeing you in August.

Avery