Something New-And It's Not A Pot Melt

Want to share a photo of your work? Or get feedback on a new piece? Post it here. (Note: items in this forum are deleted periodically, generally after several months.)

Moderator: Brad Walker

Randy W

Something New-And It's Not A Pot Melt

Post by Randy W »

Here's the result of something I've been messin around with the past couple of weeks. I thought about making it into a plate or a bowl but decided it displays just fine as a flat disc. Let me know what you think.
Randy
Diane

Post by Diane »

VERY COOL =D> =D>
it's not a pot melt...so what IS it? or is that a guarded secret...What ever it is, it's a great effect.
Zane
Location: moved to Illinois (not Chicago) in 2006 from Wisconsin

Post by Zane »

Very nice. The closeup has a dragon's face in it. :D
Dani

Post by Dani »

Zane wrote:Very nice. The closeup has a dragon's face in it. :D
Oh, no, it's a lovely thick blooming flower bed.... gorgeous. How did you do that? Tell me now before I throw a hissy fit, or just, just, er, die! :lol:
Randy W

Post by Randy W »

What's great about this piece is that it can be whatever the customer thinks it is.

With the recent talk about technique ownership, I don't know how much I should divulge about the process. But I figure I can share this much, it's a "wire drop". I first heard of it on this board and did some experimenting with the few facts I found here.

Randy
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

i thought maybe wire mesh melt, too. i know somebody else who's done a few sort of like this -- similar method, i suspect. your result is quite gorgeous -- i like your color sense. you've given me a lot of inspiration the last month or so to branch out and try new things.
Dani

Post by Dani »

The wire mesh work I've seen had the mesh embedded in the glass.... this doesn't look like that. Did you use mesh as the actual drop-out mold in some way?? We need an icon with a long nose.... for nosey people like me! :!:
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

http://www.warmglass.com/cgi-bin/wgarch ... read=84940

A few posts beyond the intial post in this thread is one called visual aids or the like.

I don't have the pictures posted anymore of the setup, but you might understand the description. If not, I'll post the pictures again. Just let me know if you need the visuals or if the words make sense.

The technique (I believe) is also described in Keith Cummings "Techniques of Kiln Formed Glass".
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

http://community.webshots.com/album/62967227AfKlWJ

I was mistaken. The pictures are still there.
Sharon Lee

Post by Sharon Lee »

Posted to wrong thread.
Last edited by Sharon Lee on Sun Jun 01, 2003 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sharon Lee

Post by Sharon Lee »

Sorry everyone I just posted that reply to the wrong thread.
Sharon
Jon Wunderlich

Post by Jon Wunderlich »

Really cool Randy,

Your experimentation has paid off big time.

Jon