Painting the back of tiles to get reflective qualities.

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

deborahbur

Painting the back of tiles to get reflective qualities.

Post by deborahbur »

What kind of paint or film should I use on the backs of clear tiles so I can attach them to the wall and not see through. I have seen some tiles with some sort of silver paint or film attached (looks painted on) but I don't know. That way I could still use transparent glass for wall tiles. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Deborah :D
Ron Coleman

Re: Painting the back of tiles to get reflective qualities.

Post by Ron Coleman »

deborahbur wrote:What kind of paint or film should I use on the backs of clear tiles so I can attach them to the wall and not see through. I have seen some tiles with some sort of silver paint or film attached (looks painted on) but I don't know. That way I could still use transparent glass for wall tiles. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Deborah :D
You might try this

http://www.venturetape.com/final/Brite_Bak_Sub.asp

How it works in a tile application, I'm not sure.

Ron
charlie

Post by charlie »

a lot of tiles with reflective backs are made with a piece of mirror as the back piece, and the tile is actually cold fused to the mirror. spectrum makes a mirrorred colored glass, but it isn't fusable.
Cynthia

Post by Cynthia »

I've used Pebeo glass paints that you paint on and then cure in an oven at 275F or some low temp like that. YOu can get them at craft stores like Michael's.

They come in opaque colors, transparents, opalescent, irridescent, and metalics like copper and gold. It gives a wonderful feel of reflective depth behind a transparent glass.
Victoria Nelson

Post by Victoria Nelson »

If you just want a black or white opaque glue you can use 'Optima. Its a tile adhesive sold here in Australia.
You butter the back of each tile as well as the mounting surface. Let set for 5 minutes before laying the tiles. I used the white to put up a 3 x 2 foot, 12mm thick panel on a very uneven concrete wall. Even with transparent glass there were no streaky glue lines. It looked like it had a piece of white opaque glass backing. Nearly one year later and out doors it still looks great.
Cheers, Victoria
Cheryl Wade

Post by Cheryl Wade »

You can also use car paints - the spray can type are the easiest - so you can have any colour you like, matts, metallics. They look as good on unfired glass as fired glass. Just remeber to do it outdoors and stand downwind! I've also used oil paints applied lightly and smudged on, oil and chalk pastels, metallic foil etc before spaying. You can get some really good effects.