Ceramic tumblers?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Diane

Ceramic tumblers?

Post by Diane »

I found some ceramic tumblers for doing slumped vases. They have a nice sloping side when upside down so there's no place for the glass to trap but I tried some last night and this morning they are stuck ](*,)
There's several coats of kiln wash on them....so now what?? What can I do to get them off or CAN I?
I don't like using the stainless floral formers and thought this would be great but maybe it was just wishful thinking.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Thanks, Diane
Jan de Jong

Re: Ceramic tumblers?

Post by Jan de Jong »

Diane wrote:I found some ceramic tumblers for doing slumped vases. They have a nice sloping side when upside down so there's no place for the glass to trap but I tried some last night and this morning they are stuck ](*,)
There's several coats of kiln wash on them....so now what?? What can I do to get them off or CAN I?
I don't like using the stainless floral formers and thought this would be great but maybe it was just wishful thinking.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated
Thanks, Diane
I don't know if the shape of the ceramic tumbler is the same as I had.
But I had also a problem with draping over a ceramic form. If it is only the kilnwash you can try this (it did help for me!): Put the whole thing in water and keep it there for some days. Remove the water and put the vase in the freezer. After 1-2 days remove and let it dry for a long time!

I hope you have success, Jan
Ron Coleman

Post by Ron Coleman »

Put the piece back in the kiln with the glass down and the tumbler facing up. Reheat enough to get the glass to open up and then anneal. You may be able to save your glass piece.

Ron
Billie Myers

Post by Billie Myers »

Diane,
I did the same thing. I did put my piece in the freezer for a couple of hours. I was able to rock the floral former back and forth then to free it from my glass. I haven't had the nerve to try again. Good luck
Billie
gone

Post by gone »

That's why floral formers are made of steel. The ceramic doesn't shrink as much as the glass upon cooling and the glass will "clamp on". The general rule is to slump into ceramic and over steel, unless it's a gentle curve, then it doesn't matter.

Els
jim simmons

Post by jim simmons »

Another thing that works is to support the glass (upside down) with some kiln furniture, being carefull not to touch the ceramic and then heat up to about 500 F. the ceramic will just fall out.

Jim