draping problem

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Kim Bellis

draping problem

Post by Kim Bellis »

Hello everyone - I am having a problem with draping a piece of 3mm 14"x10" (approx) over a BE lamp forming mold 8740. I center my glass over the mold - keep the lid of the kiln propped up about an 1" or so and fire slow - by slow I mean 500 dph. My problem is the glass breaks down the center before the kiln reaches 500 dph.

My kiln is a top loader with the elements on top. Does anyone have an idea on what I am doing wrong?

Appreciate the help :)
Kim the glass addict :-k :-k
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

You didn't say how deep your kiln is or how close the glass is to the elements, but my guess is that you are thermal shocking your glass, and leaving the lid open probably isn't helping the situation since the glass closer to the opening will be much cooler than the glass away from the opening.

Close the lid and try 250°/hr. Like all things, rate of heating is relative. 500°/hr is NOT slow.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
Kim Bellis

Post by Kim Bellis »

Thanks Tony, what you said makes perfect sense! The kiln is only around 13" in depth and by the time I put in the shelf and mold that brings my glass about 4" or 5" from the elements. I always thought 500 dph was slow - so I really appreciate that tidbit. I believe that will really help out with vases I have been trying to do!

I appreciate the help
Kim
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

glassaddict wrote:Thanks Tony, what you said makes perfect sense! The kiln is only around 13" in depth and by the time I put in the shelf and mold that brings my glass about 4" or 5" from the elements. I always thought 500 dph was slow - so I really appreciate that tidbit. I believe that will really help out with vases I have been trying to do!

I appreciate the help
Kim
Kim

I think that your open lid is really the culprit. I'd slow down and close the lid. If that works, I'd start to see just how fast you can go with the lid closed.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Barbara Muth

Post by Barbara Muth »

Kim, I don't have the shelf in my kiln when slumping. All you need are some kiln posts to elevate your slumping mold a bit so air circulates beneath it.

Barbara
Barbara
Check out the glass manufacturer's recommended firing schedules...
LATEST GLASS