Float glass?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

cindabr

Float glass?

Post by cindabr »

:? I'm new and learning the art of fusing. I understand that float glass is window glass or maybe shower door glass but what can you do with it?

How do you go about adding color to it with frits or other glass when you don't know the COE of the float glass?

I have tons of window panes around here. Is this essentially was float is? If not, how do I determine what float is? I sure need ideas what to do with all of it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Brock

Re: Float glass?

Post by Brock »

cindabr wrote::? I'm new and learning the art of fusing. I understand that float glass is window glass or maybe shower door glass but what can you do with it?

How do you go about adding color to it with frits or other glass when you don't know the COE of the float glass?

I have tons of window panes around here. Is this essentially was float is? If not, how do I determine what float is? I sure need ideas what to do with all of it.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
The last I heard, float made in the U.S. has a COE from about 85 - 87. I don't think that the manufacturers exercise the same QC as the fusible art glass companies, so I imagine it varies, perhaps even from run to run. C.R. Loo in SF has coloured frit for float. How it works over that range is the interesting part. Probably the same way enamels and Paradise paint work, there's such a small volume of glass in the applied coating the incompatability isn't enough to have a powerful reaction.

Any other guesses out there?

Brock
My memory is so good, I can't remember the last time I forgot something . . .
Lynne Chappell

Post by Lynne Chappell »

I think with thin layers of frits, being off a point or two doesn't cause big problems.

As for what to do with float glass, texturing it usually produces some interesting results, drop it through some holes, slump it over carved shapes. The best part is it probably didn't cost very much (or nothing), so the experimenting can be lots of fun.