fusible decals

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Ingrid

fusible decals

Post by Ingrid »

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had a source for the fusible decals that they would be willing to share? I am interested in finding a dragonfly for a customer of mine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Ingrid :D
Dance to the music of your dreams....the steps will bring you joy.
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Ingrid:
Why not use a stencil: place on glass, I brush on a small amount of glass glue with a paint brush so the powder will stick a little, dust glass powder over top, clean around edges of dragonfly after taking stencil off (I use a small rubber paint brush) and then fuse.... I have also used Paradise Paints with a stencil.
Kathie from Calgary
phil

Post by phil »

I bought a couple of dragonflys locally that are amazing - 90 coe, roughly 1/1/2" body and 1 1/2 inch wingspan, dichroic on black - many colours. Look like they are water jet cut. If you can't find locally I can give Canadian Source.
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Hey Phil:
I'm curious - please post site for Canadian source of dragonflys.
Thanks Kathie from Calgary
KatyPattison

Post by KatyPattison »

Kathy, Fusions had some dichro waterjet cut dragonflies just after Jennifer got back from the Glass show. I don't know if she has any left, she had both COE 90 and 96.

Katy from Calgary
Fern

Decals and dragonflies

Post by Fern »

I have bought decals from John Brauchi - i forget the name of his company, maybe Dichromagic. his email address is brauchi@earthlink.net but he doesn't always reply immediately. and i don't know if he has dragonflies.

Also, one Canadian wholesaler that sells waterjet cut dichro dragonflies is Kaleido Glass in Georgetown Ontario.

Fern
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

:oops: Now I feel totally embarassed. I did not know that such things as decals existed.... So much out there to learn...... Thanks Katy for cluing me in and I will talk to Jennifer.
Kathie from Calgary :oops:
Bert Weiss

Post by Bert Weiss »

You can make your own decals with a silk screen and supplies from Reusche. They sell decal release paper and overcoat. You silkscreen the enamel or lustre on the release paper and screen on the overcoat. This creates a water release decal that can be applied on a piece of glass or ceramic and fired in. The overcoat burns off cleanly from the top surface.

There are companies that make decals using big printing press type of machines to print the enamel layer. The only catch with this process is that you have to buy a thousand or two in order to get the prices reasonable.

The collector plates that you see in Parade Magazine are made this way and believe it or not those exact decals work on glass at fusing temps. I first discovered that china paints work on glass when testing some decal samples.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Kathie Karancz

Post by Kathie Karancz »

Hey Bert: your awesome.... thanks for answering my questions and all your helpful advice. Looking forward to seeing you again in September.
Kathie from Calgary
Kitty

Post by Kitty »

you can provide artwork to Wise Screenprint in Dayton, Ohio (937) 223-1573. they don't have outrageous minimums. do the artwork and layout so you can get the maximum number of repeats of your desired image. provide them with camera-ready copy. when you need a decal, cut them out one at a time. pretty cost effective. dont know if they have website ... i just pulled the file to get the phone # for you. kitty.
phil

Post by phil »

Soory for the delay, Kathie. Not sure about the link thing, but site is [www.fanatasyinglass.com][/url]
Ingrid

Thanks

Post by Ingrid »

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ Thanks for everyone's help with the decal information...I have lots of sources to choose from...WOW...where were they all hiding when I was looking. Thanks again! Ingrid
Dance to the music of your dreams....the steps will bring you joy.
Alecia Helton

Fusible Decals

Post by Alecia Helton »

One site for fusible decals and patterned dichroic glass is
http://www.dichroicpatterns.com.

Alecia
Jim Wixon

Post by Jim Wixon »

Ingrid...Profusion <www.dichroicpatterns.com> has all of the patterns available in dichroic in decal form. theyalso have plain metalic and colored decal sheets for cutting your own. they will send samples.
jim